Impulse purchase- Groupon for 28 day prepared food diet

happyteacher
on 12/26/14 3:14 am

Clearly I haven't been taking my adderol. I am not one that normally goes for a quick fix type diet plan. Hell, I am not even in the weight loss phase. I was perusing Groupon today and they have one for a 28 day meal plan at $200. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks for the month delivered to your door. They say you will lose. I say, not so sure. I couldn't find their nutrition stats as far as calories, although I spent very little time viewing the menu and links. The gist of is you get eggs and protein (sausage or something) for breakfast. Lunch is a protein and a veggie. Dinner is veggies. You picked 140 veggies, 28 protein options. I was a bit confused when ordering because at no point did I see options to tailor the breakfast choices, and the 28 protein choices didn't add up. Perhaps some of the stuff is a default setting though. It does bill itself as managing blood sugar levels and conducive to a Paleo diet plan. All natural ingredients, nothing processed in the sense of extra crap added in. The selling point for me though is the "Now I don't have to think about what I am going to eat for that 30 day period". I hate packing meals for work and right now absolutely don't feel like preparing meals AT ALL. I don't think I have ever been so burned out on food prep. That is worth the $200 alone. 

So a grand experiement indeed. I am planning on sticking to it, unless one of the default menus has ingredients that I am allergic to, calorically the plan is too high (over 1600 cals per day),or if there is not enough protein in the plan for a day. In that case I will substitute in protein shakes. Seems like cals should easily be coming in under 1200 though given there are so many veggies involved. 

So, what do you think? Am I bat **** crazy and the narcotics I am taking for pain (post surgical) taking over, or something that can help to make things a little easier?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 12/26/14 3:25 am

I'm going to go with Bat **** Crazy! LOL!

Seriously, it comes in a box. How natural can that be? Teehee.....

Anyhow, I'm curious to hear what you think once you get it. What company produces this product?

I'm on a whole food kick, so this wouldn't work for me, but I can certainly understand the allure. Food prep does get old!

happyteacher
on 12/26/14 4:01 am

The food is "fresh prepared flash frozen"- so not necessarily as processed as what it could be. I ended up AFTER ordering and posting here going back to use the chat function, and found out that the breakfasts are veggies... there were two different plans. One had the egg breakfast, but the one I ordered was vegges for two meals, protein for one. They also said typical protein for a day ranges between 20-35 grams... so protein shakes here I come. I need help getting back into the swing of veggeis though, so I don't mind the extra meal of that at all. Way too many holiday sweets embibed in this year, although the scale has been merciful despite the daily sugar deviled behavior. 

Here is a link. I have the REV plan. The Groupon price was $199.  The company is called Personal Trainer. I did absolutely no prior research, as this was a total impulse thing. I will eventually get around to looking up reviews. I can say emphatically though that there is not enogh protein, so if anyone out there is looking into it don't pay for this plan- or if you do plan on using shakes for breakfast and 1 snack to get your numbers up. 

On a funny note, the chat guy told me to "absolutely" avoid protein shakes since they are proven to stall weight loss. I had great fun letting him know that I lost 150 pounds using them. :)

But yea... going with bat **** crazy at the moment. :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

sooz319
on 12/26/14 6:26 am
VSG on 10/20/14

I have ordered from Personal Trainer Food.  Everything tasted really good.  I did just lunch/dinner plan when I ordered.  It was before my sleeve surgery and felt fairly satisfied with the portions.  Now, post-sleeve the portions would be just right, if not too large.  The BBQ Brisket was DEE-LISH.  Vegetables steamed up really nice and weren't mushy.  I think it's a great plan for busy people who don't have time to plans and prepare meals.  Hope you enjoy!

VSG with Dr. Billing on 10/20/2014 @ Puget Sound Bariatrics Center
DOB 1968 Height 5'5" HW 224 (09/08/2014)  SW 212.5 (10/20/2014)

happyteacher
on 12/26/14 8:31 am

Glad to read that the food was palatable. I am not terribly picky, and expect the proteins to reflect that they are frozen convenience food. I read some of the reviews on Amazon and there were some folks who thought it was pretty terrible to many more who liked the food. We'll see!

happyteacher
on 12/26/14 4:16 am

Just sharing some interesting tidbits I am finding- now that I am researching this stuff AFTER I bought it. 

"We only recommend apples during weight loss mode. However you will be best off to avoid any fructose sweetened item to maximize fat burn. Fructose may be low glycemic however it will stimulate the liver forcing it to create body fat."- I had never heard this before, what do ya'll think? This was an answer to "Can you eat fruit on this plan?. 

This plan is low carb- really low. I found nutrtion labels on this link, and the protein choices are consistently under 15 g per meal, and many lower. I can see me swapping out the nut snacks for protein shakes to up the protein. Hover over the food choices to see the labels on this link.

In all, this really appears to be worth the promo price. And Devon- they are billing this as a whole food program. Low carb, gluten free by default. I didn't order any breaded choices though- 

(deactivated member)
on 12/26/14 5:00 am

A lot of the super low carb plans limit fruit severely during WL. Fructose has been closely linked with the promotion of fat storage - even when eaten in only a mildly processed form (e.g., peeled apples, cooked blueberries, juice orange)

I got their pdf that gives the nutritional info for all the prepared meals. Here's the link: http://www.personaltrainerfood.com/orders/NutritionLabels.pd f

Some of the meals have very good protein levels. The breakfasts, not so much, but some of the dinners are pushing 30+ grams of protein.

Like I said, I can't wait to hear what you think!

MegZorar
on 12/26/14 10:06 am

Wait. What? Fructose causes the liver to create fat? I've been craving fruit. Need to ask my docs/nut.

KathyA999
on 12/26/14 1:32 pm

Actually any of the "-ose" items (fructose, lactose, dextrose, glucose, etc.) are sugar of one sort or another. Put simply, high levels of sugars in the diet (and high levels of refined grains) create high levels of sugar in the blood.  That causes the liver to produce insulin to reduce the amount of sugar in the blood.  How that's done is, it's converted to fat and then stored.  (That's a VERY simplified description of a very complex process, of course.)  Sometimes the liver overproduces insulin, removing too much sugar (or we've eaten too much and created an unusually high blood glucose level), and we get a "sugar crash" where blood glucose goes too low, or swings from high to low too fast, and we get "dumping syndrome" - sweats, shakes, etc.  This happens more often with RNY patients but can happen with VSG and in people who have never had WLS.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

MegZorar
on 12/27/14 12:24 am

Good to know. Good. To. Know.

Most Active