Anyone else "mourning" food?

claricey
on 12/27/14 11:58 pm

So I'm a little over 4 months from surgery and having feelings which (after discussing with my doc and therapist) we believe is mourning food. Not only am I feeling sad about not being able to turn to food for comfort...but worse, food just doesn't taste good to me anymore. Not even my favorite things like lobster and crab.  I had a band to sleeve revision and never experienced this with my prior surgery. In an weird way I'm happy because I know this surgery can greatly aid me in never returning to those poor eating habits. However, I'm worried that I don't know how to deal with the loss of food for comfort. I'm working with a therapist but not sure we're getting anywhere other than just talking.   

So here I am reaching out for thoughts and ideas from all of you who may have experienced something similar.  How have you dealt with it and what got you through this rough spot?

I have faith it will eventually pass but would love to hear from anyone with experience. 

Thanking you in advance!

Claricey

NanfromSan
on 12/28/14 4:00 am, edited 12/28/14 4:00 am
VSG on 12/09/14

I'm almost three weeks out and I have had days where I'm like "what do I do???" Honestly, it is like when you watch a movie and there's a person who sees their love from afar.  They can't go and talk to them or be near them.  They just stare from a distance with longing...that's how I've felt sometimes, since the surgery!  LOL. When I'm looking at others eat or I'm craving something I'm not allowed to eat...finally I just told myself "find something else to think about" because it seemed like all my thoughts were taken over by what I can and cannot eat, all the time.  I've been reading more and just keeping myself occupied and busy with other things. Today iI reorganized and cleaned out my work bag and one of the kitchen cabinets.  Whenever I start roaming around aimlessly looking at food, in the pantry or in the fridge, and start over thinking, I force myself out of the kitchen and try to find something else to do.  

Start weight:  252 pounds 

High weight:  268 pounds

claricey
on 12/28/14 5:53 am

Thanks for the reply.  I could definitely occupy my thoughts with some constructive organization and planning ahead. :)

Kathy8429
on 12/28/14 4:01 am

Hi claricey, I understand exactly where you are. I remember calling it "my break up with food"

im currently 16 months out. It's much better then it was, it's all about finding other ways to deal with stress/anxiety. I think for me WLS was such an abrupt taking away of my most important coping mechanism that it took me quite a while to not miss it and to fill the gap with something else. Kind of like I still have fond feelings for my fist love (Darrell) but my husband is way better. So even tho food was great, the behaviors I'm learning now are way better. 

Hope this helps,

hugs to you, Kathy

claricey
on 12/28/14 5:56 am

Thank you Kathy!  As hard as it is to believe I don't think I ever truly admitted to myself what a crutch food was in times of stress/anxiety.  I'm definitely caught off guard by this so trying any new ways to cope are going to take some effort but I know it's what I need. 

Valerie G.
on 12/28/14 7:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I experienced this too, but have nothing to offer for changing anything.  I can just tell you that you're not alone and that it does lessen over time.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

claricey
on 12/28/14 10:46 am

Thank you so much. It really helps!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 12/28/14 7:33 am - MI

Before surgery I read about people being in food mourning. I'm not in mourning, but sometimes I have a hard time knowing that I can have 3 to 4 ounces of food. It's sometimes hard to comprehend. Other times it doesn't bother me. I do miss being able to have a grilled cheese & cookies. Don't beat yourself up too much. It's such a big change.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

claricey
on 12/28/14 8:08 am

Thank you!  It definitely is a bigger adjustment than I had planned for.  

psychoticparrot
on 12/28/14 9:37 am

This is a nugget of wisdom I learned from Overeaters Anonymous regarding junk food. You're having a problem with healthy food, too, but from everything I've read here, your liking for them will return before too long. Anyway ...

We were told in OA that the sad feelings that accompanied giving up junk food were similar to giving up an abusive boy/girl friend. You love 'em, but they just ain't good for ya!

Mourning for food (junk or healthy) is not an overstatement. It's real. 

psychoticparrot

Most Active