Feeling Nervous

woodartc
on 12/28/14 9:55 am

So, last week I attended my nutrtion class and was given my final appointment with my surgeon to schedule my surgery.  Can you say nervous?!?!  Over the last couple of days I have thought about backing out of the surgery, but then there's this part of me that says you need this surgery.  Is there anyone else out there that has had these same feelings and if so, how did you get over them?

Gwen M.
on 12/28/14 10:12 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I kept really, really busy pre-op.  It probably helped that my cat went blind right before surgery and I had to drive her to a billion different vets to figure out what was going on.  That didn't leave me a lot of time to worry at all!  :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/14 11:37 am

I have similar feelings at the moment.  I am trying to stay positive but must admit I am terrified at times.  I keep thinking that I can just do this on my own, but the truth is, I can't.  I have tried so many times and ways.  I need this tool and I want a different future than the one I will face if I don't do this.   I just keeping looking beyond the actual procedure....

Carolyn W.
on 12/28/14 11:41 am

That's exactly when I started to get nervous! Don't back out, I promise this will be the best thing you've done! I just had to keep reminding myself that the risk of things going wrong is slim because of how many different tests they do pre-op so they know everything they need to do during the surgery! Honestly, the pain isn't super bad either. It hurts, but it's bearable! I get menstrual cramps worse than the pain I felt from surgery. Just remember that you are taking a HUGE step in the right direction to a healthier, happier you! Best of luck!!!

Kim N.
on 12/28/14 12:16 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

Please don't be afraid.....I made up my mind to go ahead with this surgery back in August and had my surgery on Dec.8th.  Those in between months I filled myself with any and all information I could get.  I joined OH in early Sept. and a ton of info came from a lot of wonderful people who had gone through it.  I still got scared, afraid and extremely nervous.  In reality it was all a waste of time.  Before you know it, your in pre-op, then surgery and a day or two later your home.  I won't say I wasn't in any pain because the 1 day was a bit daunting but every day after just kept getting better and better.  Reading and reading doesn't really prepare you for the huge lifestyle change your going to make.  You have to experience that all on your own and learning how to cope takes a lot of strength.  But, if you want to be healthy badly enough you will do this for yourself.  Especially with the added bonus of all the wonderful things you will be able to do that you can't do now.  The BEST OF LUCK to you!!!!  Everyone will be here to help you day by day.  Please let us know when you are scheduled....Kim

BorderCollieMama

mickeymantle
on 12/28/14 2:52 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

my hubby thought I snuck out the back door of the hospital just before they hooked up the iv , the papers the surgeon read me about it being possible they might need to do open surgery freaked me out (that is for emergances only my hubby had open surgery twice for cancer and did great{ he is a serviver})

if you where not scared you would not be human , but without surgery It is doughtful you would lose the weight you need to and keep it off and that will kill you in the long term

try to relax this is a safe surgery with a good surgeon , major complications are very rare  and if you follow your surgeons plan your should lose most if not all your extra weight and keep it off for life

THIS IS A GREAT TOOL , GET IT AND USE IT

I lost over 175 lb so far and wish I could have done it 10 years ago

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Lillyrose
on 12/28/14 8:22 pm

I set up Pintrest boards; I chose private on them because they were for me; to plan my clothes, trips, recipes, fitness, etc.   It helped me focus on why.  There are pins concerning food after surgery.    It sorta gave me focus.   I am 12 days past surgery and I go to my Pintrest when I need to refocus.  Good luck.  

Elizabeth C.
on 12/28/14 9:33 pm

Good morning!  I am here, 11 days post-op, feeling really good. I hope your surgical experience goes as smooth as mine. As far as nervous goes, YES! I thought, "what the heck am I doing?!" all the time...but then I thought: Do I want to continue with the health problems; do I want to continue to feel miserable; do I want to be able to do simple things like go to the movies and not be smashed next to someone, or look for an aisle seat; do I want to request a table rather than a booth because I can't fit in a booth; do I want it live long enough to see grandkids, heck, even my next birthday!; have I ever, in my 42 out of 52 years of being overweight, been able to keep weight off after losing?; do I want to participate in life?! Then the answer was then wayyyyy easier for me. I am learning more and more about this tool I've been given, I foresee some tough mental times ahead. I want to surround myself with like-minded people to pull each other up when feeling stuck or down. You are doing the right thing for yourself! How many times can we say that for ourselves? You got this!

ebonymc
on 12/29/14 5:52 am

Before getting banded, I backed out 5 times before going ahead with it. But when it needed to come out, I backed out twice before having it removed. I am a big chicken but I know that I can not lose the weight that I need to lose without having weight loss surgery. Now once again, I can't wait to have surgery and I hope this will be the right choice for me.

Most Active