Birth control after VSG?

Carolyn W.
on 12/28/14 11:38 am

Hey guys! Tomorrow marks 3 months since my surgery and all has gone well! I have PCOS and was on birth control for about a year when I was 15 (I'm 18 now) and I'm thinking about going back on it. I was on birth control because I didn't get my period and when I did I would have severe cramps. Today for the first time since February, I got my period and of course the severe cramps came back. Has anyone else got on birth control after VSG? I know that our bodies absorb medicine differently now which I will definitely talk to my doctor about. I think my biggest concern is weight gain because I gained about 15 pounds last time I was on the pill. 

Thanks!

mickeymantle
on 12/28/14 2:40 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

best to talk to you ob gyn   post wls hormones work funny while your loosing fast

people get there periods weekly  or not for months

your doctor will have to figure out which mix of hormones will work best for you and if it is enough alone for safe birth control , many surgeon want you 2 use 2 forms of birth control to prevent pregnancy

also there are meds that will help with the cramping

hope you feel better

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Gwen M.
on 12/28/14 10:13 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I take BCP for period regulation (I have a tubal ligation for the actual birth control part of things).  I haven't had any issue with taking it post-op. And I doubt it has hindered my loss at all!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/28/14 11:40 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I have a Mirena IUD, I had it for 2 years prior to surgery and it's still there. Super effective, plus I don't have any issues with cramps; I used to have absolutely debilitating ones, even on the pill. Heck, I hardly even have a period! My surgeon said that since the hormones are directly in the uterus, surgery doesn't affect it, so that may be a good choice, though your gyno will be able to make a recommendation for you.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

TexasPrincess08
on 12/28/14 11:52 pm
VSG on 09/15/14

I'm getting my IUD put in today. It's definitely something you wanna have because my surgeon told me that after surgery you become very fertile. And I do not wanna get pregnant any time soon 

Brina78
on 12/29/14 3:20 am - San Diego, CA

I take bc now...and it hasn't affected my weight loss..atleast i don't think it has lol. I've been on bc since i'm 15..i'm 36 now..because of my pcos and irregular periods..I won't be able to get off my pills until i'm a year out..which will be july 2015 (hopefully then i can have a baby...lol) But you should be fine..you might have to try a few since to see which ones your body likes better...:)

Hislady
on 12/29/14 8:03 am - Vancouver, WA

Your body will not absorb medications any differently than it did before. Only bypass and DS malabsorb, the sleeve does not. Your stomach is just smaller but still works the same. Two forms of BC is a very good idea because WLS tends to make people VERY fertile. There are a good many surprise post op babies around!

Most Active