diabetes/weight loss

kelly_p
on 1/2/15 12:27 am

Hey everyone, i am having various problems with my sugar level and have been told i have prediabetes.  Alot of people have told me that weight loss will not help because my body is now functioning differently but I was just wondering if any of you had glucose problems or diabetes and if the weight loss helped. I have talked to my doctor but wanted yo hear about any personal experiences..thank you for any help on advance.

emelar
on 1/2/15 12:35 am - TX

What does your doctor say?  Mine told me that even a weight loss of 10 pounds would improve my diabetes - and I was diabetic, not pre-diabetic.

I was on Actos and Byetta before surgery.  Stopped taking it the day of surgery.  Haven't taken it since.  Normal A1C.  I think the people telling you weight loss won't help are blowing smoke up your ass.

mickeymantle
on 1/2/15 1:14 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I gained 100 lb on actos and then went to an endocrinologist , which said why the hell was I put on that it always make people gain weight and it did not control my sugar , was put on slow acting insulin, metifomin   and byetta    and lost 75 lb pre op and my a1c went down to 5.8

since surgery I have been off insulin and byetta , just taking metiformin  and the first labs my a1c went up to 6.2 and every lab since has been 5.8 and I was told in the future when I lose more weight I might get off all meds

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

emelar
on 1/2/15 2:02 am - TX

Yeah, my primary told me about the weight gain with Actos after I gained 10 pounds.  I wanted to slap her.  The Byetta suppressed my appetite and helped me not gain any more weight with the Actos, and kept my numbers in the normal range.  Metformin did nothing for me, except constant intestinal distress.

iloveravens
on 1/2/15 12:50 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I too was diagnosed "pre-diabetes" before WLS.  I was on Metformin.  Since surgery I haven't taken anything and my blood sugars are completely normal (around 80 in the morning).  My last A1C was 5.6 on 11/6/14.  I think you have some misinformation!!

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

mickeymantle
on 1/2/15 1:16 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

never heard of someone pre diabates being put on metiformin , usually that is treated with diet and weight loss

post surgery my fasting blood sugars are 90-100

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

weeziebeth
on 1/2/15 7:25 am

Depending on overall health condition and comorbidities, metformin is being used increasingly in the pre-diabetic population. Again, depends on overall health status. 

HW 285 SW 248 CW 218  Surgery date: 12/2/14                 "Life itself is the proper binge." Julia Child      

"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''  Winston Churchill

Gwen M.
on 1/2/15 1:20 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My A1C was in the pre-diabetic range when I had my labs right before surgery and now my A1C is totally normal.  So it helped me.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

hollykim
on 1/2/15 1:32 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 2, 2015 at 8:27 AM Pacific Time, kelly_p wrote:

Hey everyone, i am having various problems with my sugar level and have been told i have prediabetes.  Alot of people have told me that weight loss will not help because my body is now functioning differently but I was just wondering if any of you had glucose problems or diabetes and if the weight loss helped. I have talked to my doctor but wanted yo hear about any personal experiences..thank you for any help on advance.

my dr says the term"pre diabetes" is like saying a woman is pre pregnant. She either is or isn't and diabetes is the same way. You either are or you aren't. 

That said,my blood sugar normalized the evening of the morning I had surgery,and has remained normal for the entire 5 year post op period. 

IMHO, "a lot of people" don't know what they are talking about. Losing weight usually helps everyone to a certain degree.

CURVYCHIC
on 1/2/15 5:19 am

Hi,I was a diabetic for 20+years,on 4 insulin shots a day AND Metformin. My sugars ran into the hundreds,I had no energy and my A1C at one time was 19! The bariatrics dr would not release me for surgery unless I was at least down to an 8. Talk about motivation to get your crap together.In 4 months,I went from a 12.9 to a 7.5 a1c,cause I was gettin' sleeved if it killed me.On may 15th of 2014,I got my sleeve .and lost 100+lbs in 6 months.

I was only headed for a wheelchair,minus two feet and blind to boot,if I didn't change my life.3 months post surgery,I leveled out at 5.,my sugars are normal now and have stayed there ever since and I'm never going back.So don't let ANYBODY tell you it can't be done.I eat high protein, low carb,my energy is through the roof, I excersize an hr + 7 days a week and alternate free weight days.The sleeve is the best decision that I ever made,my only regret is that I didn't make that decision sooner.The sleeve is only a tool,not a means to an end,You still have to learn how to use that tool and make the program work for you,but I've got it figured out.the surgery itself was the easy part,but knowing that I could make the changes to be successful at it,and that I can now fix what was broken,that I'm getting healthy again,are powerful motivators for me,not to mention those shrinking #s on the scale. And the #s on that scale don't lie.Therapy really helps.both pre and post surgery,because you must find and fix what made you fat in the first place,you can't escape it anymore,shoving food and feelings down Your throat with each bite. That's all behind me now. Wishing you good luck and that ecstatic feeling when you can finally say: "I "USED"to be a diabetic,but not any more!"Ciao 4 now

Most Active