2 months down and I dont like eating meat anymore

navyrob74
on 1/3/15 1:45 am - Pasadena, MD

I am 2 months from my sleeve and the stargest thing has happned to me and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same thing happen to them? Before my surgery I lived on meat and potatoes, every meal had at least 2 servings of each. But know eating any type of meat makes me sick. And most of the time I bring it right back up. Even the smell of meat makes me sick. But for some reason I love vegtables. Its almost like I turned into a vegetarion without even knowing it. I know from my doctor meat was going to be the hardest thing to get back to eating but I honestly do nor even want to. Which brings me to my other concern without eating any meat how a, I supposed to get all my protein in? My doctor really is against using shakes after 30 days. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Gwen M.
on 1/3/15 1:48 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'd recommend talking with your surgeon or nutritionist to get their advice on how you should be eating.  There are good non-meat sources for protein out there.  Eggs and dairy come immediately to mind.  Beans are good but are higher in carbs.  

What kinds of meat are you eating and how are they being cooked?  I'd be pretty concerned, personally, if meat made me vomit and I'd be talking to my surgeon about that.  I haven't had problems with meats as long as they're moist - dry meats are a no go.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ShrinkingViolet2013
on 1/3/15 2:10 am

I'm not a dietician, but recommend that you have one to rely on that specializes in bariatric patients. It took me many more months to be able to digest meat - I'd say around 5 months out.  I was told to try ground beef or filet mignon when I was ready.  That being said, I know of plenty of people (myself included) who were on shakes for breakfast for 8 months or so.  I'm not sure if your desire to eat beef will ever return, but fish is another option aside from dairy, beans, and nuts/seeds.  My RD told me not to have the nuts and seeds until I had hit goal, though.  Lots of good luck!

TeashaLorna
on 1/3/15 3:59 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

I am 29 months out and some meats are still difficult for me. Some days are better than others to. Meat is an important part of your food plan. I could eat soft fish about two months out. Only about 1.5 oz and even now I still rarely can eat mor than 2 to 2.5 oz of meat at a time. Just take it slow and take very small pieces and chew chew chew like 30 times for the piece. Make sure it is soft. I had that same kind of reaction happening until I slowly turned it around.  You should check with your Dr always if you have concerns. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

diane S.
on 1/3/15 4:39 am

well i would sure stay away from what makes you sick.  do protein shakes and have eggs and greek yogurt.  during weight loss phase i found it impossible to get enough protein without one shake a day. so talk to your doc about the reasons for his rule.  meanwhile, what about softer thinks like tuna or other seafood?  gl, you will find a way.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

happyteacher
on 1/3/15 5:34 am

I am not a huge meat eater. I do not find it difficult to get my protein in. I eat a lot of cheese, eggs, and yogurt. I still do shakes, usually 1 a day. I was not much of a seafood eater prior to surgery, but not really enjoy it. I do better with meats that are slow cooked and very tender or barbqued, so perhaps the way that you prepare it can help? I also do legumes, but I am not a low carb type either. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 1/3/15 10:19 pm

I've not been sleeved yet, so treat my advice with a grain of salt (vegetarian!).

Meat has never been a big deal for me, so although I'm not a vegetarian, I'm pretty close to being one. After my surgery, I plan on getting my protein via fish, tofu (it's not as awful as you think. Preparation is everything), and beans. My bariatric nutritionist approves of this plan. 

It could be that the changes in your taste buds are a blessing in disguise. Most Americans eat way too much red meat. Even skinless, boneless chicken has a lot of fat in it. I say, go with what your body is telling you, and eat healthier protein. There are lots of recipes online on how to prepare fish and plant protein that are absolutely delicious.

psychoticparrot

Gila2015
on 1/3/15 10:29 pm

I am four months post op and can't tolerate any meat or eggs. The smell of poultry makes me sick. I am using premier protein shakes in the am to give me a protein boost. I wonder if I will ever eat meat again!

Additionally you may want to get checked for a stricture. It was the reason I couldn't process them

Most Active