Medical Alert tag ??

psychoticparrot
on 1/2/15 8:39 pm

This issue has probably already been discussed, but I don't know how to look up specific issues on the forum. 

Question: Do I need to wear a medical alert tag after having sleeve surgery? I was banded 10 years ago and have since, on my primary's recommendation, worn a tag that warns against using a nsg tube, as that can puncture the pouch.

Does the same warning hold for the sleeve? And are there other contraindications with the sleeve that an ER should know if you can't speak for yourself in a medical emergency?

psychoticparrot

November18
on 1/2/15 9:16 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

I've read different opinions about this on this site. I opted not to get one. Go to the little magnifying glass in the top right corner. That's the search feature. Type in medical alert bracelets.

Bonnie

psychoticparrot
on 1/2/15 9:41 pm

Thanks, November. I looked up the information you indicated, and it pretty much answered my questions. I will discuss it with my surgeon, though, just to get his take on it.

psychoticparrot

Gwen M.
on 1/3/15 12:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I talked with my surgeon about this and he said nope.  We don't have any issues that would restrict medical care.  

I am planning on getting a RoadID for when I race, and I'll include the fact that I've had a VSG in that information, but that's a speciality situation, not every day life!  (I also include VSG in the medical information on my iPhone but that's just because I can.  Heh.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mickeymantle
on 1/3/15 1:14 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I would because the more information they have the better to treat you

and it does effect the types of pills you can take and how they work and I would guess if they had to pump you stomach or tube feed you it might be important

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

hollykim
on 1/3/15 5:54 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 3, 2015 at 9:14 AM Pacific Time, mickeymantle wrote:

I would because the more information they have the better to treat you

and it does effect the types of pills you can take and how they work and I would guess if they had to pump you stomach or tube feed you it might be important

not really,pumping the stomach would be No different than putting down a feeding tube,the tube just doesn't always stay when they pump your stomach.

vsg doesn't have any restrictions on pills that are allowed and if they are giving you a pill,I would hope you would be awake enough to be able to converse with them about your surgery.

inmy experience,many,many,MANY health care givers don't have a clue about what a VSG is. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views