when did fluids and protein get easier?

snn
on 1/6/15 12:38 pm

hi everyone! i'm new to the site - i had my sleeve done 12/22/14 and was just wondering what people's experience has been in terms of tightness / inflammation, and when it got easier for you guys to hit the protein and fluid targets? 

thanks! sara

happytoloose
on 1/6/15 3:41 pm

Well Sara,

I just passed 9 weeks and its just now getting to the point where I can swallow a good mouth full of water.

My protein is easier no when I mix it with coffee, works super.

Hard protein is still a bit rough due to my restriction, mine is 85% so not alot of room in there.

I can now drink an 8 oz glass of liquid pretty easy, so I can catch up when I get behind on fluid.

My 64/60 is getting easier by the day now as long as I have a 30g shake in the morning.

If I gulp, my sleeve lets me know, really quick. Ive learned to stop just short of that point weather eating or drinking.

It was tough, but better now.

Just keep at it, I promise it will get easier in the coming weeks. You'll learn to use the restriction to your advantage, then, the weight will just melt away.

Good luck, hope this eases your mind a little.

Rod

NanfromSan
on 1/6/15 7:57 pm
VSG on 12/09/14

Im 4 weeks post op.  I make my protein requirement via shakes, but still nowhere near able to get the water in.  Many others seem to do better than me, though.  I still cant drink more than 2-3 oz at a time. As for pureed/soft foods, only 2 oz max.  I have just now tried solids and one tablespoon is my max and even then Im still uncomfortable so i find myself reverting back to my shakes.  Because my max is so small, even if i did 2 oz every hour for 24 hours, i wouldnt meet my water requirement :( 

Start weight:  252 pounds 

High weight:  268 pounds

Gwen M.
on 1/6/15 10:05 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I was able to hit my goals the first day home from the hospital.  I stuck with room temperature liquids after reading here over and over that cold liquids could be harder.  I set a timer to go off every 15 minutes to remind myself to sip.  And I just did that all day.  I started with two protein shakes in the morning, then non-shakes, and I'd have my third shake in the afternoon/evening.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/7/15 12:10 am - MI

Hi Sara,

I had no issues from the get go getting in my protein and water.  I was two months out on Christmas and I can eat regaular food. I measure 3 ounces of food out and I don't feel any restriction. I know everyone has different experiences to how they fell. I honestly wish I did feel some a tighter restriction. Good luck to you! Keep sipping and getting that protein in!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Tracy D.
on 1/7/15 12:21 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hi Sara - for me the fluids got much easier after about 4 weeks but I still had to be careful about how quickly I drank them.  I wa****ting my protein goals most of the time at 4-6 weeks out too.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Kelly Jean
on 1/7/15 12:27 am
VSG on 04/08/14

I'm with Tracy 3 to 4 weeks out .. but till today I really only do room temp !!! Cold is not good for me or hot .. I like it justtttt right lol. .. it will get better ... but just keep sipping .. don't give up !!! Trust me !! Good luck !!! :-)

♡ Kelly

Shel25
on 1/7/15 1:16 am

Welcome, Sara!

I am just over 4 weeks out.  I had much nausea the first weeks and developed an overwhelming nausea association with anything related to the full fluids stage. (Even now, I have to avert my eyes when a protein powder container comes into view.)   Because of the nausea with liquids, my NUT and surgeon both said not to worry about drinking protein and that it is ok to gradually increase protein thru foods.   So, using foods alone, reaching the protein target is nearly impossible in the beginning, but, it is certainly improving over time.  I think I hit 60g maybe once on a day that I picked up sashimi that I used for a few meals. My serving size currently for most things is 1.5 oz although for some reason can eat a bit more of seafood.  As the NUT said, this is a progression and I can sure see toleration changes from week to week.  

You asked about "tightness," I rarely have tightness anymore.  Surely healing is part of the improvement but I think most of the credit goes to dialing back portion size (in the beginning I was measuring out 2oz)  Once I dialed the portion back, I that tightness went away unless I ate way to fast.  I have been trying to "undereat the sleeve."  

I met the fluid target for the first time yesterday!  Water began to taste ok again just a few days ago so I won't have to rely entirely on artificially sweetened drinks.   From the beginning, I was able to swallow (not gulp) fluids pretty easily.  Now, while I can't down a cup of water like pre-op, I am getting pretty close.  

I know you are going to do great, enjoy the ride!

~Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Alice9248
on 1/7/15 2:06 am

I had mine done on Dec. 15. I never felt that restriction until the last few days...and, for me, it hit with a bam! I was eating solids at 3-4oz with no problem until one day KAPOW. Now after talking to folks on here I'm dialing back to 1-2 ounces. BUT everyone is different.  My buddy felt restriction from the first day. SOOOO long comment that didn't address your question directly.

I can drink warm herbal tea very easily.  That helps me get in my water.  Also, I teach so I talk all the time and I drink room temp water the entire day. Cold water killed me until just a few days ago, too.  Sometimes you just need a drink of cold water and I was happy to finally be able to take one without seriously regretting it.

As for protein, I can't answer that.  I haven't been tracking the 60 grams yet.  I've just been concentrating on eating the right amount.  Tracking protein is my next step.

Good luck!

snn
on 1/7/15 2:53 am

Thanks so much for all your input guys it helps take some of the anxiety edge off! We're any of you still feeling tender on your left side at 2.5 weeks?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 33 views