Just approved for Vertical Sleeve

Bbinder2002
on 1/26/15 6:09 am

I got approval today from insurance to have the sleeve surgery.  My doctor's office sent me a link to all of these materials for me to print out and read and I also have to watch a video after and take a quiz.  I noticed in the paperwork that it says that 1 day of clear liquids has to be done day before surgery.  I still have to have my appointment with the doctor on Thursday to go over consent so I am sure that I will ask this to him as well but isn't 1 day of liquids seem short?  I see alot of people on here talking about doing 10 days or 2 weeks of a liquid diet before the surgery.  I am 30 year old mail 5'8" tall and weight 280 pounds.  Thanks everyone for the input.

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/26/15 6:14 am

One day of CLEAR liquids sounds normal (I had to do 2). But before that, most of us have to do about 10 days of FULL liquids. That's typically 2 protein shake a day and one meal with a lean protein and veggies. But all surgeons are different and so are all insurance plans. Your surgeon can help you sort it out for sure. 

Bufflehead
on 1/26/15 6:45 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I had to do two weeks of a low-carb, high protein diet before surgery. NO restriction to liquids only, full or clear, for even a day beforehand. This is my surgeon's standard protocol and he has a stellar track record and is part of a Center of Excellence . . . you'll find that there is a wide variety of pre-surgical protocols. I say don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

PS this will probably sound harsher than I intend it, but it's a good time to start practicing trusting YOUR surgeon and not worrying about what other surgeons do as per the reports of anonymous internet people that you don't even know. You hired your surgeon, not other people's surgeons, you are entrusting him with your health and life, not other people's surgeons -- who cares what they do? Of course we should all ask any questions that come to mind of our surgeons, but I think it's good to worry less about other surgical practices. Just MO.

Gwen M.
on 1/26/15 8:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congrats on your approval!  

Every surgeon's plan (pre-op and post-op) is different.  Do what your surgeon requires and you'll be fine :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active