For my long haired girls..

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/27/15 10:41 pm

I understand completely that losing your hair is probable and something you can't control when it happens. there are. My only question is, BEFORE it happens, is there anything some of you have done to prevent it other than vitamins or hair products? I'm thinking like keeping your hair in a braid, or only brushing it with conditioner in it, or any other little tricks just to hang on to it a bit longer. 

I have longer, wavy hair. And, I think like most women, I'm just very nervous for that stage. Again, I have read all the hair posts, i understand that sometimes we just have no control of our body's reactions. But I'm just wondering about little prevention methods like a a bun or braid or hat or special comb. Thanks! 

RizingPheonix
on 1/27/15 10:55 pm - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 12/03/14

You arent alone in this boat thats for sure. I am not looking forward to the inevitable hair loss. The most common cause is low protein. I've read that biotin and/or nail/hair supplements or prenatal vitamins help so I'm taking one everyday regardless (good for your eyes as well). All the other tips and tricks you mentioned I've been doing for years, like only brushing it when its wet and saturated with conditioner. Doing weekly conditioning treatments and I use coconut oil, allot! I live in the warm, humid weather of south florida and have to wash my hair daily and I'm already starting to notice an increase in the amount of hair coming off in the shower. I'm thinking a short cut would be wise as it worsens. I have rather long wavy/curly dark red hair, so I'm thinking maybe its time to try a lighter color to hide the transient hair loss. Maybe its time to be a beach blonde?

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/27/15 11:06 pm

Thanks! I've used coconut oil too. I am tang the biotin as well and even at 6 days out I am able to do about 75 grams of protein which is something I am THRILLED about. I just have these crazy thoughts that maybe if I french braid my hair reallllll tight I can hang onto it haha. I fuss that's just crazy, and i it falls out, I'll have to figure out a cut or highlights to offset it. 

Thanks for your response! Best of luck on your journey, and hope you hang onto that beautiful hair. 

sTuRnAsCeYt
on 1/28/15 12:02 am

If you end up losing your hair, it is going to fall out at the root. So, once the root releases the hair, there is nothing you can do to keep it in there. Even if you didn't bru**** once you wa**** it will come out. I haven't lost any hair yet, but my eyelashes have started to thin and I notice them in my eyelash curler. I had very long hair and just had it cut to shoulder length a couple of weeks ago, in prep for the hair loss. I also had my hair dyed dark previously, so now I am in the process of going blonde, so that there won't be as much contrast on my pale scalp. There is no harm in taking biotin, but it is only going to support the new growth, not prevent the loss.

VSG on 11/12/2014 - - Age: 33   Height: 5'4"   HW: 246  SW: 232.2 

CW: 165.60: 9/25/2015

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/28/15 1:44 am

Good to know, thank you! Blond sounds like an awesome idea to mix it up for change too. 

Jack Allen
on 1/28/15 12:08 am - Leesburg, VA

Do you just lose the hair on your head or all over your body? I have buzz cut hair already so it doesn't bother me that much. But if I lose all my Back and other hair then YAHOO!

47 yrs old (feel 25) 6'6" tall, 1/10/2015 = 340,  highest weight = 360, VSG scheduled 2/11/2015

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/28/15 1:46 am

I hear it does make some other hair go away too, (eyelashes and eyebrows).  So i don't see why it wouldn't help with that back hair! haha that's actually a big positive for you! 

Also, I've seen lots of your posts. You seem totally prepared and ready to go! I wish you a really wonderful and healthy recovery and journey. 

Jack Allen
on 1/28/15 4:49 am - Leesburg, VA

Thanks. It would be nice if it all fell off at once and my wife looked at the bed and saw what she thought was a sweater lying there. HA HA HA.

I had lapband surgery 4 years ago and kept up with the procedures so I know a lot of what is going to happen and what I need to succeed after.

Thanks.

47 yrs old (feel 25) 6'6" tall, 1/10/2015 = 340,  highest weight = 360, VSG scheduled 2/11/2015

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/28/15 11:39 pm

Yeah, I had Lapband 7 years ago. I was 19 at the time. So I was just mentally different as well. But I will tell you, the feeling after surgery (for me at least) was WILDLY different. And within just 2-3 days I felt SO much different from the lap band. I never felt restriction, only pain from lapband, and I am one week out with the VSG and i swear I feel restriction just from a few tbs of greek yogurt. And no tight/stuck feeling. It's absolutely wonderful and I can see now why people are so successful and happy with their sleeves.

MAchick
on 2/4/15 5:16 am
VSG on 01/27/14

Hahaha!

Most Active