Postop 4 weeks, how much can you drink?

traceydj
on 1/30/15 1:39 am

Hey Everyone.

I am postop 4 weeks. I feel great. I have lost 10lbs..is that good or bad? I was as band removal/switch to sleeve.

But i dont know if this thing is working. I seem to eat and then get hungry. why is that. But then when i eat..i only eat a little..which of course is good.  But the reason for this post is, why can i drink 16oz of a protein shake in one sitting, but then can only drink about 4 oz of water in one sitting.  Is my band stretched or is it tight?  I am confused.

hollykim
on 1/30/15 2:16 am, edited 1/30/15 2:17 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 30, 2015 at 9:39 AM Pacific Time, traceydj wrote:

Hey Everyone.

I am postop 4 weeks. I feel great. I have lost 10lbs..is that good or bad? I was as band removal/switch to sleeve.

But i dont know if this thing is working. I seem to eat and then get hungry. why is that. But then when i eat..i only eat a little..which of course is good.  But the reason for this post is, why can i drink 16oz of a protein shake in one sitting, but then can only drink about 4 oz of water in one sitting.  Is my band stretched or is it tight?  I am confused.

well, do you have a lap band or a vsg? Your post is confusing. I could drink as much as I wanted of anything at 4 weeks out. I could drink 16 ounces of protein shake in about 30 minutes and all the water/liquids I wanted,with very short time between regular size drinks.

what exactly are you eating? If you are eating a lot of carbs,you will feel hunger sooner and all the time. 

traceydj
on 1/30/15 4:22 am

I had a band, then went to a sleeve.

i am eating soft foods, like tuna, boiled eggs, yogurt.  

Hanab
on 1/30/15 2:17 am

You're fine don't stress yourself out like that. I can drink a protein shake in one sitting and a 16oz crystal light flavored water in one sitting with no problem but I can not take a sip of plain water I instantly feel nauseas and sick. I read that after surgery plain water is hard to drink. I also eat and 2-3 hours later need to eat again just make sure you're eating protein and getting all your fluids in. I'm 5 weeks out by the way :) 

traceydj
on 1/30/15 4:22 am

Woo Hoo!..

ok..thak you Hanab..i feel much better.

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/15 2:30 am

I'm confused, you said something about a band, then talked about a sleeve, which is it?

traceydj
on 1/30/15 4:23 am

I was a band, had it removed, switched to a sleeve.

Gwen M.
on 1/30/15 4:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Everyone loses weight at a different rate, so 10 pounds seems good to me!  

Plain water is more challenging for people to drink, for some reason.  You might have better luck with warmer liquids, or crystal light.  Experiment a little and see what's easiest for you to drink.  

The hunger is probably acid at this point.  Are you taking a PPI such as prilosec or nexium?  That helps a lot of us with the hunger feelings.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

traceydj
on 2/2/15 1:15 am

Hey Gwen..

Thank you for the reply. I take Tums as needed..  when i go back to the Dr for my second post-op visit, i will ask about the prilosec.

ipray
on 1/30/15 11:26 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

If you aren't doing this already, try your liquids at room temperature.  Cold liquids can be hard to tolerate in the begining.  Plain water can be hard in the begining as well.  (I have been drinking Diet V8 Splash for 3 months.  I love it!  It comes in Berry and Tropical.  I switch back and forth.  (It was one of the drinks approved by my nutritionist).  I was trying to drink about 48 oz liquids per day at you stage.  Used a portable timer to help me to remember to take sips.  Good luck to you! 

Most Active