I think that I need HELP !!!!!

ArleneAnne
on 1/31/15 12:23 am - Oakville, Canada
Greetings   On January 2, I will be 8 weeks post op and, as long as I stick to not eating more that approx. a cup at a time, my new tummy seems to be happy.   Everything has been going well, except that I am finding that my new tummy is getting to know and like too many BAD things ...... i.e. yesterday we took our granddaughter to McDonald's for lunch and a cheeseburger (without all of the bun) was enjoyed and then my husband ordered a pizza for supper and the toppings from three pieces marched in after the cheeseburger before I ground to a stop !!!!!

Today, the scales tell me that I am down again another 3 lbs (49 lbs since surgery).... I was almost hoping that I had put on a little weight so that I would have even more incentive to STOP these BAD habits ...... but hopefully I will regain the willpower to begin to get "back to basics" and get back on track !!

Has anyone else had these difficulties ..... and how did they deal with them ????

Superchunk77
on 1/31/15 1:16 am

I had to have a talk with my s/o and my son.  Both are tall and skinny and can eat the house down. We eat things that I can eat too. I make them little treats that I do not eat here and there but for the most part we all are eating healthier.  Luckily my son will not eat fast food and my s/o does it when he is not in front of me.  If you are struggling, I would find someone to talk to.  Some days are harder than others but that is the mental hunger taking over.  You are so early into your journey, you need to stop this now before it gets worse and the surgery is a total waste.  Good Luck. 

Gwen M.
on 1/31/15 1:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hey there.  This might not be what you're trying to say, but it seems like you're not really taking responsibility for what you're eating.  You say that your new tummy is getting to know and like too many bad things.  And that you went to McD for your granddaughter.  And then that your husband ordered pizza and the pizza just magically marched into your mouth.  

You control what you eat.  Not your stomach, not your granddaughter's desire to go to McD, and not your husband ordering pizza.  You.  Right now, that's what you should be focusing on - that you are in control of your own self.  

If you're not seeing a therapist already, I'd recommend adding one to your team to help out with this.  It's something really important for all of us to learn.  

It might also be wise to not go to McD in the first place.  It's not healthy for anyone in the family and there are non-food treats that might be a better way to enjoy your time with your granddaughter.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mickeymantle
on 1/31/15 1:49 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

1 cup of food at 8 weeks sounds like a lot check what your plan says

also you need to control what you eat you need to stay on plan or you will not lose

maybe a therapist would help

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Farmersdaughter2
on 1/31/15 2:12 am
VSG on 12/15/14

I am also at about 8 weeks and have noticed that head hunger is starting to be a problem.  For those that suggested a therapist, what kind do you see?  Is it someone who focuses on food addictions or just a general one?

Gwen M.
on 1/31/15 2:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've been seeing a therapist almost weekly for about a year now.  I was prepared to try out a few to find one I clicked with, but I lucked out and really hit it off with the first one I tried.  She doesn't specialize in disordered eating, but she has quite a bit of experience with dependence and addiction.  She was really honest with me about her experience and was eager to work with me and learn as we both went.  So far, it's been really invaluable and I don't feel that I've suffered any for her lack of direct experience with disordered eating.  In my experience, a therapist that you click with is way more important than a therapist with a specific speciality!  

I'm also going to start Dance Movement Therapy tomorrow - I'm pretty nervous about that right now, but I'm having some pretty serious disassociation issues and my regular therapist and I are hoping that DMT might help me.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

psychoticparrot
on 1/31/15 6:07 am

Not sleeved yet, but from past dieting experience I recommend the following:

1. McDonald's is the lair of the devil -- don't go there, not even for your granddaughter.

2. Ask your husband to respect your WL efforts. If he wants pizza, he should go to a restaurant and eat it there, not in front of you.

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

White Dove
on 1/31/15 10:43 pm - Warren, OH

My surgery did not control what anyone else in my family or friends ate.  I went to McDonald's and enjoyed a large glass of ice water while others ate.  I went and picked up the pizza and did not eat any of it.  At some restaurants I would have a cup of tea with Splenda while keeping the eaters company.

It is your surgery and your journey.  You will still lose early out, but that will not last.  This is the time to develop discipline and be an example to others and to yourself. 

Unless you are going to sit alone, you will have to deal with watching others eat everyday.  You don't have to eat because they do. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Tracy D.
on 2/2/15 3:27 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

One cup of food at 8 weeks out is a LOT!  No way in hell could I have eaten that much, are you sure you're actually eating that much?  

As for the McDonald's and pizza thing - you can actually make a decent choice at McD's.  Order the grilled chicken sandwich and eat half of the chicken breast after tossing away the bun (no way should bread be going into your mouth right now).  With pizza...well that's totally on you my dear because you were at home and could certainly have made another choice.  You just didn't want to. 

At this point in your journey it will seem like the scale is "rewarding" your bad behavior by going down but the scale only measures weight loss - it doesn't measure FAT loss.  The food that you are eating is NOT feeding your muscles and will get stored as fat.  The weight loss you see on the scale is probably muscle leaving your body.  Do you want to be a certain number on the scale and actually have more body fat?  Then keep it up...

How did I deal with my food issues?  I went (and still go) to therapy; I go to a regular Overeater's Anonymous meeting; I track my food every day in MyFitnessPal, the good, bad and ugly.  And I hold myself accountable and make healthier choices regardless of where I'm eating.

Most people are the most motivated in the first few months after surgery to walk a very narrow path of intergrity with their food and eat on point at every meal.  It's after months and months of this that people get tired and lazy and throw in the towel - I did!  What is month 8 and 9 going to look like for you if you're already so easily diverted from doing what you know is right?  

I applaud you coming on here and being honest about what happened but now you need to face the music and do better today and every day after that.  Are you willing?   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active