day 4 post op

Oliviawashere
on 1/31/15 12:18 pm

I'm still struggling. I went in for surgery on the 28th, was doing fab afterward, and the next day got knocked off my feet, so much nausea, they kept me until today. So 4 days. I'm so scared I'm not going to drink enough water, it fills me up so fast & I'm not hungry for other clear liquids they want for my meal. I don't want to end up back thefd! How much water were you able to get in 4 days post op? Did it hurt? I'm having bad buyers remorse, I don't want to constantly worry that something bad will happen.

Farmersdaughter2
on 1/31/15 1:08 pm
VSG on 12/15/14

Hi there.  Just wanted to let you know you are not alone.  I stayed in the hospital for 4 days due to nausea and vomiting.  It took me so much longer than I expected.  The first couple of weeks were tough until my doctor got me on Protonix and Gas-X.  After that it has been much easier.   Try to sip liquids every 10 minutes.  Set an alarm on your cell phone if that helps.  Popsicles and SF jello also count.  I also sucked on ice chips constantly.  Try not to stress too much because that makes everything worse.

LK85
on 1/31/15 3:21 pm
VSG on 12/30/14

I was one of the lucky that had no problem with fluids after surgery, but it is a process.

Try different liquid temps, flavored vs unflavored, with or without a straw. You'll eventually find your niche and be a fluid drinking fool in no time.

Valerie G.
on 1/31/15 9:52 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

64 oz of fluids is your daily goal, no matter what.  I had a giant 64oz cup that I carried with me everywhere and sipped from it constantly.  This is not something to work up to > your body needs it from the moment they remove the IV from your arm.  Dehydration causes even more nausea and fatigue...and even kidney stones.  Yes, it's hard..VERY hard, but you can do this.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Carmelita
on 1/31/15 11:31 pm - Four Corners, NM

My adverse reaction to liquid pain meds kept me nauseated and vomiting post op too..even warranted me a 2nd night stay in hospital too :-(   A few days home I  chucked em and the nausea/vomiting STOPPED. 

The viscosity of PLAIN WATER is VERY VERY PAINFUL for virtually ALL of us! ..must use somethin to give it density...dilute GATORADE G2 ,  APPLE JUICE , CRYSTAL LIGHT PURE or Walmarts GREAT VALUE (BOTH made with STEVIA) , GINGER/HERBAL TEA with water 

Go to Walgreens get those ELECTROLYTE POPS (generic) or PEDILYTE popsicle...those sf pops are ok but these others provide electrolytes to stave off dehydration.  The ICEY helps to reduce throat and incision line swelling.  Can semi-freeze G2s for like a slushie even!! 

THIN out broths, mix/thin your protein shakes with WATER

THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL you are going to be able to get in the amount of water your dietary guidelines or anyone here suggests you get in the first week even two...IMPOSSIBLE

DO THE BEST YOU CAN!! 

DEHYDRATION is thee #1 reason for a post op ER visit...yet totally preventable. Make it your priority

KayDeeCee
on 2/1/15 2:39 am, edited 2/1/15 2:40 am
VSG on 01/26/15

First of all, take some deep breaths and try not to worry. This is a process...things WILL get better! :-)

I was in the hospital 3 nights. I sipped water while there, but didn't keep track and I was nowhere near the amount required. I could only eat a couple of tablespoons of the liquid foods they gave at each meal. The day I got home from the hospital, I had just 16 oz of water that afternoon. The next day I made myself get down 16 oz of water before each meal (basically sipping for the hours between meals). I have been able to do that since. So that is 48 oz a day and I am on Post-Op Day 6. I have only been able to get down 1/2 a Premier Protein Shake at each of my three meals. My surgeon said that for this first week, water is more important than Protein. I feel like I am doing well with 48 oz of water a day so far, and feel comfortable that I will eventually get 64 oz daily. It probably helps that drinking 6-8 cups of water a day has been my habit for many years. But I used to gulp down 2 of water just before a meal if I hadn't goten it in yet...now I have to sip, sip, sip. It's funny that getting my water in and Protein in and the timing of it takes a lot of concentration! :-)

5'7" HW 256 (1/6/2014) SW 236.2 (VSG: 1/26/2015) CW 165.5 (01/10/2016) Total Weight Lost 90.5
Pre-Op: -19.8; Month 1: -19; Month 2: -12.7; Month 3: -9.9; Month 4: -7.2; Month 5: -6.4; Month 6: -2.8; Month 7: -3.7; Month 8: -4.2; Month 9: -0.6; Month 10: -2.1; Month 11: -0 Month 12: -2.1

GOALS: BMI Normal = 159 (6.5 to go); 100 LBs Lost = 156 (9.5 to go); FINAL GOAL: 139?? (26.5 to go)

Most Active