Hello to the Group

ArleneAnne
on 1/28/15 11:38 pm - Oakville, Canada

Greetings

This is the first time that I have been on this forum, so felt that I wanted to say "Hello" to everyone.

I am almost 2 months post-op (Surgery Dec 2nd) ..... and doing well !!  .... still trying to figure out what food is good for me but I am getting much better at being able to listen to what my new tummy is trying to tell me, so things are getting a little better recently !!!!

When I went into surgery at Toronto Western Hospital, I was supposed to have a RNY, but when I woke up I discovered that the surgeon had done a VSG instead cause there were too many adhesions to allow the original type of surgery....  so I am currently having to sort out what is good and what is bad for this particular surgery ..... so will appreciate any feed-back that I can find on this forum

Hope that everyone has a great Thursday ..... and that you are not caught in tooooo much snow

Catch up with you all soon

Arlene

Pamela M.
on 1/28/15 11:43 pm - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

Welcome!     I am 5 months post-of with VSG and have not had any problems at all.  The best advice I can give you is to follow your surgeon and nutritionist advice as closely as possible.  I have lost 64 lbs. thus far and feel great.  Eating the proper foods in the proper amounts, eating slowly, not drinking with meals, getting in all your protein and water.  If you can do these things you will experience great success!  Good luck and again, welcome to the loser's bench.  Happy you have joined us!

And for all your snowbirds up north, it's going to be almost 60 degrees today here in Atlanta.  Eat your hearts out!  LOL

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

ArleneAnne
on 1/28/15 11:54 pm - Oakville, Canada

Greetings Pam

I am GREEN with envy .... my husband and I used to spent our winters in Arizona .... and I oh so miss being there in the winter time ..... the only good thing about having to stay up here in the winter is that we at least get to see our grandkids every week ..... but hey .... I would go the Arizona in a heart beat if I could !!!  ..... unfortunately, due to other medical reasons for both myself and my husband, we can no longer afford the travel insurance required to go south of the border for any length of time !

So please keep me posted .... I will live vicariously  through you !!!!!!

Catch up with you soon

Arlene

Elizabeth C.
on 1/29/15 12:04 am - Mansfield, TX

Welcome!  It takes a little time to get adjusted (or at least it did me), but like Pamela said.... get your protein and water in, don't drink during meals or 30 minutes after and you will have success.

Some lose slower than others, so try not to compare yourself with everyone else (this is really hard for me!).

If you aren't already, what I have found to help tremendously is tracking EVERYTHING I eat.  I use the fat secret app because personally I find it more user friendly, but the app isn't important... just track EVERYTHING! :)

Good luck on your journey!

5'-5" ~ Lap Band 03/2008 Converted to Sleeve 11/6/2014 HW 296 Start Pre Op Diet for Sleeve 226 SW 217 -9 M1: 202 -15 M2: 196 -6 M3: 186 -10 M4: 180 -6 M5: 176 -4 M6: 171 -5 M7: 167 -4 M8: 165 -2 M9: 161 -4 M10: 158 -3 M11: 158 -0

momsy55
on 1/29/15 12:51 am - ME

Welcome Arlene Anne and congratulations on your recent surgery!  Everyone's choice is individual, but I chose the sleeve over RNY, as I felt there were more advantages to the sleeve.  I've had no problems at all, and I'm just about 3 1/2 years post surgery.  You do have to follow the plan given to you and listen to your body, as you've been doing.  It does get a little harder later on, as the pink cloud wears off, but with continued diligence, life improves in so many ways!  One thing that I tried to do was listen to those who went before me and were continuing to have success.  When I stopped doing that, and was not mindful of the food I was putting in my mouth, I did struggle for a few months, and gained a bit back.   However, I have been back on track for a little while now - that's where the diligence and listening to the successful vets is so important.   Best of luck to you!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Tracy D.
on 1/29/15 1:00 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Welcome, Arlene!  The good news is that you won't have to worry so much about vitamin absorption and nutritional deficiencies because you won't be malabsorping.  You'll still need to take a multi-vitamin and be tested for B12 and D3.  A lot of sleevers have to take B12 but my levels have always been perfect without it.  

Most of the "rules" are the same:  drink lots of water (but not with meals or for 30-60 minutes afater); stay away from sugary/white/simple carbs; eat protein first and later on some green veggies after that.  

Welcome to the loser's bench! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

RizingPheonix
on 1/29/15 1:15 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 12/03/14

Welcome! I had the surgery on 12-3 so I'm right there with you! 

My biggest hang up is not comparing my journey to others and just stay true to the path. 

Warm regards from sunny south florida.

Gwen M.
on 1/29/15 2:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome!  I'm 10.5 months post-op and loving life with my sleeve :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jenn1469
on 1/29/15 4:39 am

I live in Tucson AZ and its 72 degrees today. Just got in from my 2 hour walk.

Jennifer

Most Active