few questions post op

Jenna77
on 2/27/15 10:50 pm
VSG on 02/25/15

I had my surgery on the 25th.So I am only a few days post op. I feel horrible. I have never been so nauseous in my life. As of yesterday I was okayed to start protein shakes.. I can't even hardly keep any water down, let alone protein shakes. I think I consumed maybe 2 tbsp of protein all day yesterday. Any I have been sipping on the same 8 oz of water since Thursday night. I am so terrified of throwing up. I am taking super small sips because of this. My dr told me that they gave me so much IV fluids that I have a few days until I would dehydrate but I am still nervous. 

Pain wise I am doing okay. I think I have only took two or three pain pills since being home. My nurse yesterday told me that I would feel extra nauseated until the JP drain comes out. I will get it removed Thursday, which seems forever away. That is also really the only place I feel pain the most. Other than that I feel like I have done a thousand crunches. 

Anyways- how often do I need to be taking sips to get in 4 cups?I was told 4 cups a day at first.  Would every 20 min be enough? I know my surgeon said my liver looked really good so he was able to give me a really tight sleeve. If I didn't feel so nauseous I think i would be okay. Throwing up hurts and I am doing it even when I have nothing in my stomach. 

Also this is my first time having stitches that don't dissolve on their own. How painful is that going to be? I know the jp drain is going to hurt coming out too and I am terrified of that! Still have some trapped gas but I feel it mostly in my lower back. Sorry this is so long. I just need advice from people that have experienced it. Thank you for taking the time to read.

5'1 Consult: 227 HW: 232 SW:212 CW:131 GW: 120 Pant size start: 18/20 Current: size 6/8

M1: 195 (-17) M2: 184.6 (-10.4) M3: 176.6 (-8) M4: 168.2 (-8.4) M5: 160 (-8.2) M6: 155.4 (-4.6) M7: 145.6 (-9.8) M8: 141 (-4.6) M9: 137 (-4) M10: 135.8 (-1.2) M11: 135 (-.8) M12: 131 (-4) M13: (-0) M14: (-0) M15: (-0) 

Have stopped losing pounds but am losing inches! 

Amandaleah
on 2/28/15 12:42 am
VSG on 01/26/15 with

I'm sorry you are feeling so horribly right now. I'm about 1 month post op and can say that the first week was definitely the worst. I didn't have a drain so I can't give advice on that but I did have trouble getting fluids and protein shakes in. Nothing tasted right and I couldn't stomach anything cold. Test out different temperatures. I was able to get ho****er in with a little lemon in it as my liquids and did a lot of the Unjury chicken broth rather than protein shakes at first. I also did some condensed soups thinned out with milk and Beneprotein mixed in to bump up the protein count. The final thing that saved me was a protein hot chocolate. I believe it's made by Nashua nutrition and made with warm milk it was close to the protein in a shake. Things have settled now and I don't have a problem with cold liquids, but that first week was a doozy!

Did they give you anything for the continued nausea? If not, you should call your doctors office and see if they can suggest anything or call you in something.

HW:314  SW:283 CW:220

Pre-op: (-31) M1: (-19) M2: (-11) M3: (-12) M4: (-9) M5: (12)

Luvmygs
on 2/28/15 12:47 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Jenna, It will take about one month for your body to heal and adapt to the surgical changes made. The most important during this time is get plenty of fluids, stay hydrated. It took me almost 5 days to actually start drinking my protein shakes, but then it took my like 6 hrs just to finish 1. Your stomach is swollen so you want to concentrate on liquids sipping small sips every 3-4 minutes. Zero Vitamin water helped me alot and also sugar free popsicles during the early stage. I know how frustrated you must be, I was there too. Thought "what the hell was I thinking". But trust me, it does get better day by day. I'm 12 weeks post-op and feeling 100% wonderful. You'll get there too. Christine

Care_Bear_in_GP
on 2/28/15 1:50 am - Canada
with

Love it!  I think those were my exact words to my husband on more than one occasion "what the hell was I thinking" 5 1/2 weeks out and I'm so happy I made this choice. :)

VSG 01/20/15 Dr. Joya Height: 5'5" Start Pre-Op Diet: 210 SW: 197 CW: 177.5    

Grim_Traveller
on 2/28/15 1:28 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Fluids are important. The number one reason for readmittance to the hospital is dehydration. Keep sipping. One sip every minute if you need to. You can drip, drip, drip into your mouth, or through an IV. Through the mouth is preferable.

It will get a little bit better every day. Hang in there.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/28/15 2:20 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I had trouble with sipping; I was very queasy because I can't take hardcore pan meds. I found that sugar-free popsicles helped me get some water in-- my surgeon gave me the OK, but you may want to check with yours.

I was really intimidated by a big water bottle. How the heck could I drink all that?? I bought some little paper bathroom cups at the grocery store that held 3oz each, and it helped things seem much more manageable.  Once I emptied the little cup, I could take a break for a little bit, but I knew how many cups I had to refill over the day to get to my requirement.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 2/28/15 3:43 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The nausea is probably due to dehydration.  You've got to get your liquids in.  That's your number one job right now, actually.  Sip all day - make yourself do it.  The protein can come later.  Set an alarm and sip 1-2 ounces every 15 minutes.  You need to be getting 64 ounces a day.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Debbie_04
on 2/28/15 5:26 am
VSG on 12/29/14

Jenna.  I can tell you my experience with the dreaded drain.  Mine stayed in 10 days, and was the worst part of after surgery for me. It made sleeping difficult so I slept in a recliner. Keeping the area clean is very important, so be sure you are washing that area when you shower, changing the dressing daily.  The good news is it doesn't really hurt when they pull it out.  I was concerned because it still seemed to be draining at 10 days but as soon as the nurse removed it the bleeding stopped! From there recovery just got easier.  I don't think there are many surgeons that leave the drain in. Guess we were just lucky!!! 

Age 66... VSG 12/29/14... H.W. 360...  S.W. 323...  C.W. 253

momsy55
on 2/28/15 9:35 pm - ME

Jenna, it does sound as if you aren't getting nearly enough fluids, but I do remember some of the difficulties.  I also remember vets saying that, at this stage, fluids are more important than getting lots of protein, so concentrate on that.  It very well could be dehydration that's causing the nausea.  Did you get a script for anti-nausea meds?  If not, perhaps you should call your surgeon's office and ask about them.  They sent me home with a script.  I had to experiment to find what worked.  My senses of smell and taste were heightened during the first few weeks, and I couldn't stomach certain things that didn't bother me pre-op.  I'm a water lover, but couldn't drink much unless it was icy cold.  I found icy cold and hot beverages worked the best.  I sucked on sugar free popsicles a lot - 2 oz each.  I also drank herbal teas and chicken broth, and found them very soothing.  I didn't have a drain, so I can't respond to that.  Keep trying to get as many fluids in as possible, in whatever way you can.  If the problems continue, please call your surgeon's office to avoid further problems.  Good luck and keep us posted!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Valerie G.
on 2/28/15 10:06 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You need 8 cups, not 4.  You are likely dehydrated (nausea and fatigue are first symptoms).  Go to the ER and get an IV of fluids and try again.  People feel SO much better after this, but you must really push to get in what your body needs.  I had a giant cup with me and I think I was taking sips constantly to meet that goal.  I carried it with me wherever i went.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active