Surgery and flight cancelled, feeling lost and alone.

TanyaR
on 2/28/15 7:39 am

Hey guys, I was to suppose to be having surgery right now but do to my flight being cancelled, I am not and now I don't know when I might be able to, plus I now have to pay 200$ just to try to change my flight. No one supports my decisions, I have been called crazy and told that I'm trying to kill myself. this was a huge blow to me, finally they agreed and were gonna help me watch my kids for my surgery and recovery. Well now they are all convinced this was a sign from god and that if I do have this surgery I will just die. There why more than 1,000 flights delayed! But for some reason, they now believe this was a god send and now they refuse to support my decision once again. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation I feel so alone and heartbroken. They constantly tell me I am taking the easy way out, but don't even give me credit for losing 50 pounds on my own! 

Melanielw
on 2/28/15 7:53 am
VSG on 01/21/15

Anyone who thinks that having WLS is the easy way out has no clue what they are talking about. There is nothing easy about this process. I am only 6 weeks post op, but this has by far been harder than any diet I have been on. Also, what people dont understand is this surgery is a tool. It helps restrict the amount of food taken in, but you still have to use good judgement on what food you put in your body. All the weight can come back, so this is no miracle diet. So when people say this is the easy way out maybe educate them more on the surgery and their opinion will change. If it doesnt then oh well! This is your decision to make and not theirs. If this is what you think you need to do to make yourself healthier and happier then so be it. As for your flight getting cancelled I am so sorry to hear that. The weather seems to be really bad in a lot of different areas right now so I am sure it is common right now. I wouldnt take it as a sign that you shouldnt do the surgery. Just stay positive and it will all work out. Hopefully everything will be rescheduled soon. Take care! 

Starlene02
on 2/28/15 8:23 am
VSG on 11/11/15

So sorry you're going through this. I was afraid I'd be alone in my process as well but to my surprise my husband has been very supportive after some long talks as to the things he was doing wrong to make me feel defensive and uncomfortable. I agree with Melanie, maybe if you explain things to them they'd understand where they are wrong about the surgery as well as how they are bringing you down. I hope things turn around for you and congrats on your 50 pounds! That's awesome!

If you feel like quitting, think of why you started.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/28/15 8:24 am
RNY on 08/05/19

"Not your body, not your decision." Let it become your mantra, seriously.

Perhaps it's worth asking if god wants you to suffer and die from weight-related issues down the road? That doesn't sound terribly merciful to me. (Yes, I'm an atheist, but they seem to know what god wants, right?)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

grayC
on 2/28/15 8:30 am
VSG on 05/01/13

^^^^^^

What SparkleKitty said!!

KayDeeCee
on 2/28/15 8:41 am
VSG on 01/26/15

I was all set to have VSG Surgery  2 1/2 years ago. I had my surgery date set and everything. Then my Insurance denied me. I was devastated, but kind of wondered if it was sign I should not have it. 2 1/2 years later, I had only gained more weight, and my labwork showed some serious health issues. My doctor said the only way to get ahead of my health issues was to lose a lot of weight very quickly. So my husband and I discussed it and I self-paid to have my VSG surgery 1/26/15, almost 5 weeks ago. Best decision I ever made. :-)

5'7" HW 256 (1/6/2014) SW 236.2 (VSG: 1/26/2015) CW 165.5 (01/10/2016) Total Weight Lost 90.5
Pre-Op: -19.8; Month 1: -19; Month 2: -12.7; Month 3: -9.9; Month 4: -7.2; Month 5: -6.4; Month 6: -2.8; Month 7: -3.7; Month 8: -4.2; Month 9: -0.6; Month 10: -2.1; Month 11: -0 Month 12: -2.1

GOALS: BMI Normal = 159 (6.5 to go); 100 LBs Lost = 156 (9.5 to go); FINAL GOAL: 139?? (26.5 to go)

mickeymantle
on 2/28/15 8:57 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

if your flight was canceled there should not be a charge to change the flight

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Valerie G.
on 2/28/15 10:02 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If your flight was canceled, you shouldn't be charged for a new one.  I travel for work and that was never pulled on me, unless YOU were late and they refused to let you in.  That's different.  They should trust God to take care of you during this par tof your life, and you'll know soon enough that this is NOT the easy way out....just the more effective way.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Modest_Phoenix
on 2/28/15 10:29 pm

Congratulations on losing 50 pounds and for taking your health into your own hands. I would question the airline policy about charging you to change because of a cancellation, which I am assuming is weather related. That shouldn't happen.  Looking for a sign from God?  How about repeating the phrase God helps those who help themselves. You are helping yourself to get healthy.  Our bodies can be used as temples to serve God in our best fashion.  The longer you live the more dedicated to God you can become... take your pick.  Anything the naysayers throw at you, give it back to them.  I believe in a loving God, not a vengeful one, people on the other hand can be vicious and nasty.  Best wishes to you.  Your flight will be rescheduled and so will your surgery.  Weather happens, we work around it.  

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

happyteacher
on 3/1/15 12:08 am

My heart is breaking for you. I cannot emphasize this enough- stay with it. It is worth all of the heartache. The people in your life who are not supportive will most all change their mind once they see how much your health improves. This is a setback for sure, but you can find a way past it. Just. Keep. Trying.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active