Vitamins and Calcium

Christinann
on 2/26/15 7:47 am

Hello everyone!  

Is is it ok to take vitamins and calcium in tablet  or pill form if they don't bother your stomach, ie no stomach ache or anything.

thanks!!

mickeymantle
on 2/26/15 7:57 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it is better to take a chewable it is better absorbed according to my nut

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Christinann
on 2/26/15 8:08 am

Ok...that makes sense to me!  Thank you!

poet_kelly
on 2/26/15 7:55 pm - OH

That is not true, according to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.  You  might want to ask your nut why she disagrees.  Or see a registered dietician that is familiar with the ASMBS guidelines instead.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Gwen M.
on 2/27/15 8:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The ASMBS does recommend chewable vitamins for the first 3-6 months post-op.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

poet_kelly
on 2/27/15 8:51 am - OH

Yes but not because they are absorbed better.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/26/15 8:41 am
RNY on 08/05/19

After the surgeon's thumbs-up, I take my vitamins in pill form, as well as all of my other meds.

If in doubt, call your doctor!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Latina63
on 2/26/15 10:12 am

I take my vitamins in pill form but calcium is chewable and I love them, they taste like a laffy taffy 😃

poet_kelly
on 2/26/15 7:55 pm - OH

Yes, according to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, that is fine.

MAchick
on 2/26/15 8:56 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

Pills vs chewable is different depending on the surgeon and program.  I was to have chewable the first few months until I hit my final food phase where I introduced solids. I'm a year out and still prefer chewable multivitamins because the one-aone-a-day I have makes my stomach so sick. My calcium pills don't bother me at all though. My B12 is sublingual, and my vitamin d is a gummy. 

Most Active