Protein Powder Vs Protein Drinks

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/15 10:50 am

Do most people buy protein powder protein shakes? Which is easier?

justpete
on 3/3/15 11:00 am
VSG on 04/02/13

the shakes usually come with extra calories and additives but a little bit more convenient ... also early out, you might have a hard time finding one with protein isolate.  Even the famous premiere protein shake no longer has whey isolate in it .. which is probably ok for us VSGers.  But ya, if you can find a powder that you like, it really is the better way to go for calories, nutrition, and cost.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

diaamajed
on 3/3/15 12:22 pm

Hi,

I am trying to understand the different type of protein. Most of the protein are mixed why protein. I saw whey isolate powder in Costco and as I can read the label to be used after work out for muscle recovery.  Do you know if we can use it every day without workout. Thanks

justpete
on 3/10/15 1:33 am
VSG on 04/02/13

whey isolate is a faster digesting/absorbing protein, it's the best for use in the months following surgery.  it's also the lowest calorie and highest protein per gram of powder ... which makes it a little bit more expensive.  costco is a fine place to get some, the chocolate is ok.  but check out your local vitamin shop, GNC, or other muscle/fitness oriented protein supply place for a larger variety.  Many places have samples to try and a refund policy if you dont like the protein ... that's a big advantage over costco.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/15 12:12 pm

My friend buys the Pure Protein shakes at sams club and loves them. I was thinking of that or the premier. Then later on buying the powder. What u think?

CyberHexle
on 3/4/15 2:17 am

the powders usually have more protein, I started off with isopure powder for several weeks after surgery (2 scoops) than went to premier shakes ...

diaamajed
on 3/3/15 12:29 pm

I got muscle pharm combat cookies and cream powder  from Costco and I love it (I like sweet taste). I blend it with ice and half banana.

If you prefer icy drink or add some fruit then powered is good option.

Valerie G.
on 3/3/15 10:53 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

IMO - it all depends on what sucks less after surgery.  What tastes okay now could taste awful post op.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sechax0r
on 3/4/15 1:34 am
VSG on 11/03/14

I do protein powder, there is a better variety of flavors. I like ON Gold Standard. It is a pretty "clean" whey and they have lots of great flavors. The salted caramel is amazing. I mix it with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk.

JennyMcC
on 3/4/15 1:51 am
VSG on 02/25/15

My NUT was VERY SPECIFIC and said the very BEST protein will have either "Whey Protein Isolate" OR "Soy Protein Isolate" as the FIRST ingredient.  I am 1 week post op and the powders I purchased pre op are already tasting not so great.  I went to Walmart and purchased some "Premier Protein" pre mixed drinks but after I actually READ the ingredients list I discovered that they do NOT have the Protein Isolate so once I finish what I have already purchased I will not be buying them again.  I am disappointed because they taste better than the powder I was using.  I am experimenting with some of the powders now trying to figure out ways to get creative in making them more palatable.  I guess my tastes changed after surgery, because I don't really like the powders I bought before surgery now.  Best of luck to you!!!  You are doing something so good for yourself!!  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 33 views