Antibiotics after sleeve surgery??

Queen_Q89
on 3/4/15 1:57 pm - FL
VSG on 02/19/15

I'm 15 days post sleeve. I've been doing pretty good with keeping hydrated. One problem that I ran into is that I take doxycycline for acne. I'm having a BAD outbreak and I need it now more than ever. I can't seem too keep it down. Every time I take the pill I end up vomiting. I'm in the full liquids stage and I've tried taking the pill after eating creamy soup, and I still can't manage to keep it down. Has anyone else had to deal with this?? Any suggestions on what I can do?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/4/15 2:11 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

How large is the pill? Big ones can be very hard to get down, especially so early on.  You may have an easier time breaking it up or crushing it to mix with yogurt or applesauce; check with your pharmacist to see if it's OK to crush.

Does your surgeon know about the antibiotics? I'd suggest checking with him/her to see if there are any other potential issues.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

mickeymantle
on 3/4/15 2:56 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

talk to your pcp he/ she might be able to give you a shot or a pill that lasts 10 days

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Valerie G.
on 3/4/15 11:48 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Call the doc and see if they can give you a liquid for it or try something else.  Hopefully its something that will go way.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

iloveravens
on 3/4/15 11:51 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

I'm having a dental implant on Monday.  I let the oral surgeon know that I could not take those 4 horse pills of penicillin all together (one hour before surgery as prescribed) so he is giving me a shot of penicillin instead.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Tracy D.
on 3/5/15 1:16 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Doxy is notorious for causing extreme nausea on an empty stomach.   Your creamy soup may just not be enough.  Have you tried cutting it in half and taking half doses at two different times?  Maybe reducing the amount will make it easier to tolerate.  

Otherwise, you may just need to stop it until you get into pureed or semi-solid food.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/5/15 1:18 am
RNY on 08/05/19

One additional thing to keep in mind if you have acne issues... As we lose a lot of weight, most folks go through a "hormone dump." Estrogen is stored in excess fat cells, and as we lose the fat we get a whole flood of hormones. Lots of us get super grouchy, and skin problems aren't totally unheard of. You might want to be prepared if it's already an issue, just a heads-up!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

hollykim
on 3/5/15 1:49 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 4, 2015 at 9:57 PM Pacific Time, Queen_Q89 wrote:

I'm 15 days post sleeve. I've been doing pretty good with keeping hydrated. One problem that I ran into is that I take doxycycline for acne. I'm having a BAD outbreak and I need it now more than ever. I can't seem too keep it down. Every time I take the pill I end up vomiting. I'm in the full liquids stage and I've tried taking the pill after eating creamy soup, and I still can't manage to keep it down. Has anyone else had to deal with this?? Any suggestions on what I can do?

you might just have to skip it until you get on pureed or soft diet. I know acne is bad,but not the end of the world. Right now,not throwing up is more important than treating acne.

Most Active