Advancing the post-op diet

SoFloBrandon
on 3/5/15 7:04 am

Hello there! I just got sleeved this past Tuesday and so far so good! I have has minimal pain and have stomached everything without a problem. I am waiting to see how I do with protein shakes this weekend and I think I will do just fine. My question is: how flexible were your surgeons with the post-op diets? Did they stick to their schedule cut and dry or were you able to deviate based on your progress. I have seen some articles and videos of patients getting to soft foods just 1 week post-op. As you can imagine I am dying to have that chewing sensation back in my life!

Thank you in advanced for your input!

KeishaLeigh
on 3/5/15 7:47 am - NC
VSG on 02/24/15 with

My doctor is very conservative when advancing the diet.  I have to do one week clear liquid, two weeks full liquids, one week soft food, then I can start adding regular food as tolerated. He did not want us to deviate at all. We actually had to sign a paper agreeing to this progression. I am so ready to actually CHEW something lol.

38 y.o. 5'7" HW 347 SW 332 M1 -22 M2 -18 M3 -19 M4 -9 M5 -18 M6 -11 M7 -13 M8-9 M9 -7 M10 -8 M11 -5 M12 -1 M13 -9 M14 -0 

Gwen M.
on 3/5/15 7:51 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My surgeon's plan was not flexible. He has it for good reasons, and I adhered to it. I suggest you do the same!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/5/15 8:41 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My surgeon's plan was two weeks of liquids, then two weeks of pureed food, then start eating soft foods.  There was no "flexibility."  

Don't push your boundaries after surgery.  The time to follow instructions to the letter is NOW.  Food will be there in the future.  Don't let your head hunger direct you to make poor choices.  Your surgeon has given you a plan for a reason. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/5/15 9:07 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Every surgeon is different. Some have their patients go to mushies after a week, others after a month. You should listen to YOUR doctor, who sets up the eating plan based on how he does the surgery and what he's seen in his patients. Not anybody else's!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

sds0029
on 3/5/15 11:37 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

As others have said, stick to the plan.  Remember you new tummy is an infant, you should feed it like an infant.  We all know what you feel to want to chew, but enjoy the liquid, the weight really comes off and can kind of slow with the solids. 

sleevelouise
on 3/5/15 9:32 pm

My surgeon warned me to stick to my plan, or face the consequences. I chose to suck it up and just go ahead with the plan which meant liquid diet for what seemed like forever :) but I do understand your desire to switch to soft foods, or at least anything chewable. You just have to remember why you've started the journey, and simply move forward.

Had surgery at Nordbariatric, with surgeon A. Maleckas.

PrayMore
on 3/5/15 10:37 pm

As everyone said, stick to the plan. While it seems like forever now, you'll look back on this time as a distant memory. The liquid phase will pass quickly, the mushies phase will pass quickly. So just be patient with it. Soon enough - and it will be soon! - you will be eating lots of different things again and you will chew. You'll chew so much (to break the food down small) that you'll be tired of chewing! 

This will pass so fast, I promise. I'm three months out and it seems like a blink of an eye! The insurance process is a distant memory, the checklist process is a distant memory and so is the liquid phase!!!  

Hang in there!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views