Metabolism Trip Wire?

paragondream
on 3/6/15 6:13 am

Hello lovelies!

So here I am in Research Land, scouring posts and articles...something I have been doing for over a year now in preparation for WLS.

Something that I have been seeing over and over again is the dreaded REGAIN and METABOLISM ISSUES concern. So what is your take on it?

I have read that due to the smaller amount of food that you eat, your body's basal metabolism slows down which can make weight loss harder (starvation mode) even after the surgery (long term).

Are we setting ourselves up for failure long term???

~Paragondream

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/6/15 7:16 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

From what I've seen on here, there is no such thing as starvation mode, it is a myth. The amount your metabolism may slow down will never be low enough that you don't lose weight. I say may because usually once your body adjusts to the calorie limits, your metabolism adjusts too, also being more active helps your metabolism too, & once you start losing the weight, you're probably going to get more active anyway.

Regain is possible, but usually people *****gain are those that fall back into old habits & let things slide by more than usual i.e more calories, refined carbs, etc. 

Failure & success is up to the person.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Grim_Traveller
on 3/6/15 7:36 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The medical studies I've seen say that metabolism gets a boost after surgery, not the other way around. Some doctors refer to it as metabolic surgery for just that reason.

Regain happens when people drift off plan and start to eat more. For a few, that happens as soon as six months after surgery. For most it happens around two years, give or take. Some never regain anything significant, because they really stick to a new lifestyle.

A lifetime of bad habits is our biggest enemy, not a lower metabolism.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Valerie G.
on 3/6/15 7:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you know that you Know that you KNOW that metabolism is an issue of yours, then the VSG may not be the best solution.  If you prefer a working stomach to a pouch like the RNY, then look at the duodenal switch for a sleeve with a metabolism boost.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PrayMore
on 3/6/15 8:37 am

To add a comment to the rest of the good thoughts made by the esteemed people above, I also believe that WLS has better long-term weight loss statistics overall than any of the other diet plans, fad diets or programs. And I know I had WLS for that hormonal-reset, for the metabolism boost. I had a lower BMI - 37.5 - but struggled for 10 years while trying to lose through good nutrition, working with dieticians, calorie counting and very committed fitness program.  Every time I asked my doc and every time he did labs on me, he also referred me to bariatrics as a solution. I couldn't lose 12 lbs on my own in the past 10 years despite much effort. I've lost 55 lbs since my pre-op diet and WL surgery. I am optimistic because my goal is to maintain my weight loss for life! But I also know that I would rather fight a creep up of 10 lbs above my goal weight than continue to try to lose the 85+ lbs that I couldn't just shake! Best wishes as you make your decision. I'm fairly sure there are long-term statistics that you could review.

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

Nikke2003
on 3/6/15 11:16 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

From what I have read, even people that do have metabolic issues will only have a 200-300 calorie burning difference than someone with their same weight/muscle mass/height... and even then your medical issue could be regulated with medication.

The truth is that starvation mode, in the way that people use it as justification for stalls and weight gain, doesn't exist. If people were being truly honest and accountable, they would see that regain happens (or a complete stop of weight loss) because people are eating too much and not burning enough.

The concept of weight loss is simple - calories in vs. calories out. I would argue the execution of that concept is what is difficult for people. There are a lot of psychological components at play that make a lifestyle change difficult for the long term.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Grim_Traveller
on 3/6/15 11:52 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Absolutely. Simple problem, horribly difficult to fix.

Lots of things affect metabolism. It gets a little slower when you get older, etc etc. Staying motivated, in touch, and being ready to adjust are all really important.

There was a study done a couple of years ago that showed those who continue to use support groups maintain a much better loss than those who don't. What the study could not say was what came first. Did people gain because they stopped using support, or did they stop going to support because they gained, and were embarrassed? To me, I just decided I was going to continue.

6'3" tall, male.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Nikke2003
on 3/7/15 12:43 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Yes, this is something I talk about in support group. I tell people, "If you have made it your mission to come to every meeting and have become dedicated to do so... the last thing you'll want to say is "Hi my name is Jane Doe and I"ve regained 20 lbs"

As a fellow "heavyweight" (I hate that term) I'm sure you also experience what I do - giving people an awful lot of hope. That was a feeling I do not miss - feeling hopeless. Going to meetings and feeling as though I give that to people keeps me motivated as well.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Grim_Traveller
on 3/7/15 1:03 am
RNY on 08/21/12

That's because you're a really good person.

6'3" tall, male.

Nikke2003
on 3/8/15 5:45 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Flattery will get you everywhere, Grim!!! :) :)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views