Vomiting

lionhounds
on 3/5/15 4:30 pm - Burleson, TX

Hi,

Does anyone constantly throw up with the Sleeve surgery? Does anyone end up with dumping syndrome?

Daelcare
on 3/5/15 7:47 pm - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

From what I've heard we don't "dump"! That being said you can eat too much, or too fast and end up with "foamed"....most unpleasant!  Happened to me once...will not try it again!  Constant vomiting would probably be a sign of something wrong...or just not following the rules!  

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

Gwen M.
on 3/5/15 8:15 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Anyone can experience dumping, even without WLS.  I've had it happen a few times post-op, but 2-3 times in a year doesn't seem like a huge issue. 

Move also vomited 2-3 times in the past year since my surgery. Once because I ate "just one more" sugar snap pea, once because I ate salmon that was too dry, and once from kidney stone pain which is unrelated to WLS. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

PrayMore
on 3/5/15 10:10 pm

I have not vomited, but came close once. I ate too fast and possibly too much early on. It was not pleasant, but passed in 15 minutes. My mouth watered, I felt sick and had some pain, but it passed quickly.

I've had some dumping. I drank a low-calorie Gatorade (too much too quickly) and the sugar caused dumping. I was only three weeks out of surgery. It caused awful diarrhea. My sleeve seems sensitive to sugar and high fat content. I had a reaction with regular Skippy peanut butter a few days ago - sudden fatigue, nausea, the shakes and then dry mouth. It was unpleasant, but passed in just about an hour. I do have friends who can tolerate anything with their sleeves. 

These types of events have happened just four times in 3 months and taught me about what I can and can't do. The benefits of sleeve surgery still outweigh these small issues for me! 

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

Tracy D.
on 3/5/15 10:44 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

No one should "constantly" throw up from sleeve surgery - that's a sign of a serious problem.  

I've thrown up twice:  once when I advanced my diet too quickly and tried to eat some dry toast w/peanut butter - BIG mistake!   Then more recently when I attempted to eat pasta for the first time.  Pasta is a major DON'T for me...stomach just can't handle it.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

iloveravens
on 3/5/15 11:11 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

I had the sleeve and then an RNY the following day.  I've never vomited.  It helps to pay attention to your body's signals and to stop eating before you're full.  I think I dumped once (on watermelon) so I have since stayed away.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Luvmygs
on 3/5/15 11:55 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

I'm 3 months post-op and have not thrown up once. I do know when to stop over eating, its a feeling in the middle of my chest, but goes away within minutes. I was told that sleeve patients don't get dumping. Dumping is a problem with people who had gastric bypass. Its when food gets dumped directly from the stomach into the intestine without being digested, thereby causing; bloating, sweating, abdominal cramps and pain, nausea, facial flushing, dizziness or fainting and palpitations and rapid heartbeat. But I know friends who have had the gastric bypass and have not experienced dumping. They are very careful about what they eat, how much and how fast they eat. Something we all need to learn to do with WLS.

bikrchk
on 3/6/15 12:27 am

Constantly throw up? No. IF I way over do it I WANT to, and occasionally have to, but its rare.  Dumping, happens to me only if I binge on sugar. 1 serving of cookies or cake is fine, 10 and there's gonna be a problem. I consider that a blessing and a strong motivator not to binge!

Sweat is fat crying

Kinde
on 3/6/15 3:22 am

I did when I first had my sleeve (I am 6 months out) I could not eat anything I lived on protein shakes.  It turned out I had a complication and had to have another surgery 2 months ago (I waited way too long to address issue). So if this is happening to you, I would definitely call your surgeon.  I have not had the dumping issue.  Hope this helps:)

lionhounds
on 3/6/15 7:15 am - Burleson, TX

Hi,

2 months after my surgery, they said that my stomach was paralyzed and did not contract to push the food down.  They said give it time.  Before my surgery, I only ate once a day cause I was never hungry.  I have had about 6 wrenching vomiting attacks but mostly, whatever I eat, comes right back up like it is still in my esphogous.  The doctor recommended this surgery NOT because I was ever an over eater, it is cause I took 6 insulin shots a day and with never being hungry, he thought that getting the surgery and losing weight, I would get off the insulin and actually, I feel more hungry now after the surgery.  The things that I can eat are mostly fried rice and filet mignon steak from Hibachi.  Other than that, I do fine with cottage cheese and sugar free fruit cup. I eat an egg every so often, but I mostly drink protein drinks or I make a fruit smoothie in my Vita-Mix with added unflavored protein powder. 

Most Active