What would you do?

band07sleeve13
on 3/10/15 11:30 pm

I posted this on the revision site but I would like to get as much feed back as possible. 

So here is the short version of my story. Banded 2007 did great lost weight kept it off, decided to revise to sleeve in 2013 because of how "great" everyone said it was and also honestly I was tired of feeling stuck for 6 years and just wanted to feel full for once. Since my revision Iv gained 10lbs, Iv felt hungrier (physically) than I ever did with the band (my stomach actually growls now !) and I can eat very large portions. Iv checked my X-rays and I know my sleeve is much larger than it should be and that my doc used a 42 Bougie and went very liberal at that. Iv obsessively researched options for revising the sleeve and Iv found a surgeon who is very experienced with this and who I feel good about. The question is, Iv had 2 prior surgeries with zero complications, is it crazy to risk it a third time ?? What would you do ?          

mmsmom
on 3/11/15 12:04 am - Woburn, MA

If I am reading your post correctly, you have gained 10 lbs... to me that does not justify another surgery.  Stomach noise does not always translate into hunger.  I would try to make the sleeve work.

VSG on 04/28/2014

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 12:12 am

I guess I should say from my lowest weight post band, I'm 40 lbs heavier and I'm 30 lbs over my goal weight.  I've gained 10 since transitioning to the sleeve.  There is no making it work, it is huge!  I've seen the x-rays, it holds way more than it should.  And yes I know that stomach noise doesn't always translate to hunger but I was trying to get the point across that it's not head hunger, it's true physical hunger.   So, if the tool you choose to help you on your journey doesn't work, do you do what you can to get a new tool ? 

Tracy D.
on 3/11/15 12:42 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Stomach growling noises after sleeve surgery is often not "hunger"...although it feels like it.  It's actually excess acid because your stomach is dumping the same amount of acid into a much, much smaller stomach.  Excess acid and reflux are super-common side effects of sleeve surgery. I've struggled a lot with it.  Every time I think I'm "hungry" not I pop a couple Tums.  If it takes the "hunger" away then I know I wasn't actually hungry.   

If you aren't taking a prescription strength PPI I would highly suggest you get on one and see if that makes a diffence before even contemplating another surgery.  Even with a liberal 42F bougie your stomach is much smaller than it used to be.  There are people on here with bougies that size that have done wonderfully.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 12:51 am

Actually my stomach is not much smaller than it used to be, I was banded so removing the band and now with my large bougie that has stretched significantly (I have one day post op and one year post op x-rays) my stomach is much larger than it was not originally of coarse but much larger than it was post band/pre sleeve. 

Tracy D.
on 3/11/15 1:17 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm sorry but I just don't believe you.  Your entire stomach, banded or not, was approximately the size of a football before VSG.  You said yourself that the surgeon used a large bougie, which is not much larger than a highlighter.  There's just no possible way that it has stretched much.  

My surgeon has done tons of revisions and follow-up procedures and says that he has never yet seen a sleeve that "stretched out" because the stretchy part of the stomach is what gets removed.  But it definitely gets more "pliable" over time or looser, meaning that you can get more food into it.  But you are always in charge of the food you put in.  Just because you CAN eat it, doesn't mean you SHOULD eat it.

Give us an example of what you eat in a normal day.  That might give us more insight into the 10 lb. gain and we can give you better feedback on that. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 1:33 am

Your surgeon is an idiot. 

http://weight-loss-revision-surgery-mexico.blogspot.mx/2015/01/re-sleeve-revision-surgery-option-for.html

Tracy D.
on 3/11/15 1:38 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Whoa there, tiger!  No need to get nasty - I didn't call your surgeon an idiot for using a giant bougie on you.  

I'm just telling you what my surgeon reported to a group of doctors at a bariatric symposium last year.  The question about sleeve "stretching" was posed by a nurse in the audience.  I know what he said because I was there presenting on another topic.  And the other doctors presenting agreed with his assessment.  

band07sleeve13
on 3/11/15 1:43 am

The information presented was wrong.  Search the internet for pics of stretched sleeves , there are plenty . 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/11/15 1:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On March 11, 2015 at 8:43 AM Pacific Time, band07sleeve13 wrote:

The information presented was wrong.  Search the internet for pics of stretched sleeves , there are plenty . 

Because random strangers on the internet are far more credible than experienced doctors who've been to medical school?

There are pictures all over the internet of "chemtrails that cause cancer," doesn't mean they're true, accurate, trustworthy, or worth anyone's attention.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active