I am doing this right? So confused

Crazzzgal
on 3/23/15 6:15 am

Let me start off by saying that I did 12 weeks of classes before I had surgery.  They were really good about covering what to eat before surgery, but after they gave us some info, but I feel like I it is contradictory to a lot of what I have read.   They said we need to between 60 and 80 grams of protein each day, a minimum of 64 oz of water, and we should use Low fat cheese, margerine, milk, etc.  They have said bread, pasta and rice is fine as long as it is whole grain.  They also say I should be between 400 and 600 calories a day.  I feel like what they have told us contradicts itself and that we really shouldn't be eating that many carbs or things that are majorly processed like Low fat cheese and margarine.  I am almost 9 weeks out, and have lost only 8 lbs since 2 weeks after surgery... How should I be eating, what did your doctor's recommend, and how have you lost your weight. 

Thanks
Jenny

Dan1962
on 3/23/15 6:47 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I'm 6 months out and still don't do carbs except occasional vegtables.  I do use low fat cheese but not religously.  I use regular butter or yogurt based butter.  The protein and water seem good.  You don't metion exersize.....try to move as much as possible.

Crazzzgal
on 3/23/15 9:04 am

You are right... I have been walking some, but need to find something that I enjoy doing....  This is one area, I know I need to do better in.   Thank you for your insight.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/23/15 6:51 am, edited 3/23/15 7:15 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Every program has different recommendations.  I can only tell you mine.

80 grams of protein per day

64 ounces of water per day, minimum

Approximately 800 calories after surgery until you reach maintenance

Eat dense protein first, then some vegetables if you have room

Avoid mushy foods like bread, pasta, rice, etc. as they are high in carbohydrates.  

My program didn't specify how many carbs to eat, but I was diligent at keeping it around 30 grams during the first few months of weight loss.  Now I find them creeping up to 40-50.  But the carbs I eat are vegetables or fruit. Still no pasta, bread and rice only on occasion if I'm eating sushi.

I don't use butter or margarine on anything.  If I were to choose between the two, I would choose butter.  I use olive oil for cooking and don't need much.  I don't use milk for anything either, but many people use almond or cashew milk for their shakes instead of cow's milk.

I did eat low fat colby cheese sticks.  They are 60 calories and taste a little off, but I could tolerate them as a snack.  When I tried the regular colby cheese sticks at 80 calories, the difference in flavor and texture was significant.  I doubt I can go back to the low fat now.  I eat Greek yogurt every day, and drink a protein shake five days a week.

This is only MY OPINION, so take it with a grain of salt.  I would avoid the bread, pasta and rice completely.  It doesn't create any feeling of satiety and it will make you crave more carbs.  Crackers are too addictive for me too.

Have you been eating whole grain bread, pasta and rice as your surgeon's office recommends?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Crazzzgal
on 3/23/15 9:09 am

Thank you for the information.  Do you eat the cheese regularly or sparingly?  I find that I have used it quite a bit recently and wonder if that is part of the problem...  I agree with your idea of bread, pasta, and rice...  and crackers.  I haven't been really eating bread, rice etc, if I do it is a bite, and most of the time it doesn't taste good.  I am just frustrated, because I haven't seen too many changes recently, or weight loss, so I figured that I should see if I could get some additional input, because my surgeon and his PA seem to contradict each other even, so I feel kind of lost.

I do like flavor, and that is probably where I struggle the most is how to get flavor without lots of fats, or sugars.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/23/15 9:30 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

After surgery, a cheese stick was my go-to snack.  I probably ate one daily.  Now I have them a couple times a week.

Although this weekend we were out to dinner with friends and ordered a cheese sampler as an appetizer.  OMYGOD, I love good cheese!  Since there were seven different cheeses and four of us, taking a small portion worked out perfectly for me.  I'm blaming the glass of wine for the weight gain this week.  Oy.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

iloveravens
on 3/24/15 12:28 am
RNY on 08/13/14

This is basically what I follow as well.  It works well for me.  

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Oneillch
on 3/23/15 7:15 am
VSG on 02/04/15

Every nutritionist is different but my program includes healthy carbs are part of a well balanced diet. It's how much you're eating that's important to keep track of.  Make sure you weigh/measure what you eat & keep track of it with a diary or an app like myfitnesspal. If you're out, you can reference this link for a few tricks...http://www.buzzfeed.com/mackenziekruvant/17-ways-to-lose-weight-without-changing-your-schedule

I just came out of a stall and I searched what other people were doing. Use the magnifying glass at the top of the page to search the site. Some good suggestions about how switching things around can help.

Stick with it because there are other things happening with your body. Just go to your closet & see what's fitting or too big!

Crazzzgal
on 3/23/15 9:12 am

Thank you for the information as I am newer to the site.  I do use my fitness pal, and usually land around 650 calories or so, and about 87 grams of protein.   What does your fat intake look like?  And what about your carbs?  What kind do they have you eating?

Oneillch
on 3/23/15 2:21 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

The only thing that was stressed to me was that I get a minimum of 60 grams of protein and 64 oz of liquid per day. I track what I'm eating, but I'm not concerning myself with the numbers except for the proteins. I'm doing ok with the protein (I do have a protein drink once a day until I can increase my protein intake from food). The liquids, I'm still struggling with. 60 oz seems to be the best I can do, but that's not every day.

The carbs are coming from dairy, fruit, and an occassional slice of Pepperidge Farms thin sliced 100% whole wheat bread. With the exception of meat, most foods have some carbs, so I don't see how you can completely avoid them. Same with fat, most foods have some fat & if it's fat free, then it's usually higher in sugar & from what I'm told the sugar just metabolizes into fat.

Most Active