Weigh****chers after VSG

metk79
on 3/27/15 1:15 am

Hello. I am curious if anyone has ever used a second tool to help them with losing weight after VSG.  I am one year and 4 months post surgery and have lost 119lbs.  I'm pretty proud of my success so far.

The reason I am starting to inquire about Weigh****chers is that I am getting burned out on the whole low carb life style.  I went on vacation a while ago and made the mistake of eating free that week.  The carb bug has taken a hold and I find my self falling off the wagon more than I can count these days. I had lost a good amount of weight on Weigh****chers years ago and now have thoughts about using it again as a second tool to push me to my goal weight.  I figured I would start out with the lowest possible points since you can't really gauge your intake by fats, calories, etc.  I could adjust my points if I was losing weight too fast or too slow.  I am also interested in WW because the food choices tend to be more broad than what you would get on a low carb life style. 

Unfortunately, I am the type of person who gets bored really easy and doesn't have the will power to stay focus. Another motivator for me is I have 5 coworkers who are also on WW and it would be nice to get into a local support group with them.  We all workout together during the week and I hear them talk about WW and I see how successful they are with doing this program.  I think this could help me get back on track.  I do realize however that I am a special case because of my surgery, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if the points could be adjusted to fit my little tummy. 

Any advice is appreciated and I am also open to other suggestions. Thank you.

Surgery Date: 11/15/13 HW: 376 Day of surgery: 341 CW: 257 GW: 170

mmsmom
on 3/27/15 1:55 am - Woburn, MA

I would say if it works, give it a whirl.  The bottom line is getting off the weight and if you need to change it up to keep motivated, why not?

VSG on 04/28/2014

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/15 2:04 am

I know two women (one who had VSG and one who had RNY) who follow Weigh****chers. They enjoy following that program very much, but from what I understand is that they both  used it more as a maintenance tool, not the tool to lose their weight.

I won't recommend one way or the other, but clearly you are struggling with the low carb lifestyle. While the low carb approach has assisted many people (including myself) reach their weight loss goals, for others it is a harder lifestyle to follow - whatever the reason. If you are thinking that it might be too difficult for you to follow the plan you were following, it's your right to change. However, before you do, I'd be very clear about why you are changing. Is it because you went "off plan" for that week and just don't want to get back on the wagon? Are you feeling like it's hopeless to try to get off the carbs again? Really know deep down why you want to make the change. If you're happy with your reasons, then go for it.

Everyone must be comfortable with his or her own journey. While many of us can tout that we know what works best, you are the only one inside of you. You must choose to do what you believe is best for you. You can always change your mind, yet again! It's your prerogative.

metk79
on 3/27/15 2:18 am

Thank you mmsmom and Kairk for replying! I honestly feel deep down inside that I won't be able to stay focus enough to stay on a low carb lifestyle.  I am worried about meeting my goal weight and so I am trying to be proactive in finding a solution.  Plus this might be a little TMI, but I have noticed that when I eat carbs I go to the bathroom more naturally...not the insane constipation I get from low carb intake. I take Miralax daily, but DAYS go by before I have a bowel movement.  I'm kinda getting over that too.  Haha

Thanks again for your advice!  I am going to think about this some more before making a decision.

Surgery Date: 11/15/13 HW: 376 Day of surgery: 341 CW: 257 GW: 170

psychoticparrot
on 3/27/15 3:18 am

I'm away from home right now, but I plan to attend Overeaters Anonymous meetings when I get back home. Whatever keeps you going strong with the sleeve is all good.

By carbs, I assume you means breads and other non-nutritious foods. Fresh vegetables and fruits have carbs, but the carbs are nutritionally dense. Eat a little of those to satisfy carb requirements rather than anything with bread and/or sugar.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/27/15 3:43 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I guess maybe you're having diet fatigue? Did you want more carbs in general like from veggies & fruit, or carbs in limited quantities from bread & stuff like that.  The low carb lifestyle isn't for everyone, but how low do you go?

If WW can help you stay on track then go for it, but approach with caution. I don't think WW makes their meals or point system with those that have had wls in mind. Ask the leader of the group when you go to the meetings, they might be able to help you adjust their point system while keeping your surgery in mind. Good Luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Oneillch
on 3/27/15 5:39 am
VSG on 02/04/15

Please don't get me wrong, WW is probablly one of the better wl programs available, however I don't understand why you think they're not a low carb program? Doesn't WW stress having the same types of proteins/carbs we should be having (foods that are low in fat, high in fiber, whole grains/whole wheat and fruits & veggies)? Don't they stress weighing, measuring & tracking your foods, just like we're suppose to do?

If you're co-workers are going & you want to join them because of their support, that's wonderful! But I'm not sure I would let the WW leader know you had WLS because that's against everything they're about. 

Maybe I'm jaded because the last time I went to a WW session, I had type 2 diabetes & my sugars were all over the place as a result of the program. I had read that they had a program specifically for diabetes that was in trials, however when I asked to get more information about it, I was "yessed" and never given any assistance.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/27/15 5:54 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I didn't know WW shuns people who've had wls. I figured to mention it to the leader because as a sleever we don't have enough room to fit all the food that non wls people can. Plus the proportions aren't protein forward, I think they go for more of a balance & we usually need more protein than the other people in WW. That's why I figure to mention it to the leader so the op can get the right points but still meet his protein goals.

I don't know how WW is now. I tried them years ago, I don't even remember if they had a point system back then, this was the late 80's, early 90's. That's why I advise to approach with caution.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/27/15 5:58 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Plus whole grains, fruits & veggies are in limited amounts, very limited amounts during the weight loss phase & then gradually increased in maintenance. WW incorporates those foods early on, while we limit them, thus the approach with caution advice.

Oneillch
on 3/27/15 7:25 am
VSG on 02/04/15

Last attended WW in 2012 & at that time you were permitted to have all the fruits & veggies you wanted. That was my problem. Too many carbs from the fruit caused my bs to go wacko. Breads & pasta (white or wheat) has always been limited.

Most Active