Liquid Diet Trial Run

ChubbyHubby82
on 3/31/15 9:44 pm
VSG on 07/06/15

I got curious about a week ago and was wondering what a liquid diet would feel like physically and mentally. Lord knows I have enough fluff to keep me sustained for a while.  So, I emailed my surgeon's office and got a call back from their dietitian. She thought it was a great idea to prepare yourself for the real thing with one caveat. That instead of being completely liquid my mid-day meal aka lunch would consist of some protein, like the protein packs with a meat, cheese, and nuts. I was okay with that. Anyone else try something like this before their surgery? I will have to do this again before my surgery and it will be completely liquid and I know the first two days I will be like .

mljohns
on 3/31/15 10:14 pm
DS on 01/27/15

Sort of. My surgeon put me on the "sandwich" diet 3 months before surgery. Two weeks of high protein/low carb followed by two weeks of full liquids (protein shakes, sf jello, broths, sf Popsicles). I repeated the sandwich up until the two weeks of liquids before surgery. Then followed by one week of clear liquids (no protein shakes) and then 4 weeks of full liquids. The sandwich diet helped me lose 30 lbs before surgery. But it indeed was great practice for all the liquids/puréed food after surgery. You'll be surprised what you can accomplish!

ChubbyHubby82
on 3/31/15 10:17 pm
VSG on 07/06/15

Very cool! 

Well that is why I wanted to try it. Once I have my surgery there will be many mental and physical tasks that I will have to overcome. I wanted to try this as an exercise of my will mentally and physically. 

That's amazing that you lost 30 lbs. 

Tricia R.
on 3/31/15 10:42 pm

I think I am going to try this for sure!  Sustaining a complete liquid diet will be hard for sure,  but the best way to prepare myself is to try it before actually needing to do. I have 5 weeks before submission to insurance so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will try the sandwich diet =)

Gwen M.
on 4/1/15 12:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

2.5 months pre-op I started swapping "meals I don't eat with other people" with protein shakes.  This meant that, most days, I had a shake for breakfast and lunch and then I ate a normal dinner.  It worked very well for me, not just for weight loss but for mental preparation.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mickeymantle
on 4/1/15 1:10 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

be carefull that you don't get tired of the shakes before you need them

I have not touched jello or pudding since I got past full liquids I got so tired of eating them

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/1/15 5:22 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I think this is an awesome idea.  I did this type of plan for the majority of the six month supervised weight loss program required to qualify through my insurance.  It will give you a great jump start on your weight loss which will only make both the surgery and after care easier for you.

I'm very impressed with your proactive approach.  Many people are concerned more with their food funerals than understanding what life is like post surgery.  Good for you!  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

ChubbyHubby82
on 4/1/15 11:05 am
VSG on 07/06/15

Food funeral? I shall mourn Little Debbie!! LMAO.

ChubbyHubby82
on 4/2/15 10:49 pm
VSG on 07/06/15

I was at Kroger last night and hopped on the scale by the pharmacy. I never trust it but it told me I was down 3 pounds. I was amazed at that. I also noticed at the beginning of this week that some of my shirts are draping and are not as tight and my friends have all told me I look smaller. It's weird because I don't feel smaller. 

Most Active