Anyone able to help?

astueckroth
on 4/17/15 8:45 pm - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 06/27/14

Long story short I had my vsg in June then lost my job/insurance. New job and insurance does not cover Nutrition counseling or anything that I need. 

My Dietitian had only vaguely covered my post-op diet as far as anything past the initial transitions. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be getting as far macros are concerned let alone something as simple as my expected calorie consumption at this point.

i started at 330 surgery was at 298 and 10 months out I haven't had a loss in almost 3 months. So I'm doing something wrong.

i have hundreds of recipes but I don't know what I need. Can someone please help?

I don't want this to be a waste of my time/money but it quickly is becoming that. 

Im 5'10" weigh 240 lbs and I'm 26 years old.

Thank You...

jgreenlee12
on 4/17/15 9:31 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

I am 4 months out and i can only tell you the last instructions my surgeon gave me. (I go back next week so they may change, i dont know...) I am to eat 1/2 cup of food at each meal, mainly protein. 60 grams of protein, less than 40 grams of carbs, less than 40 grams of fat and at least 64 oz of water a day. I am to eat 3 meals a day but can have 2 snacks if needed. 

astueckroth
on 4/18/15 12:03 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 06/27/14

Those are very usefull numbers. There is nothing like this in my materials. Although I'm not sure about the 1/2 cup. I'll have to see if that is realistic at this point I'm afraid I'm probably able to do more than that. BUT I have to work on consciously limiting amounts as I don't ever get the satisfied/full signals everyone mentions (bleching, pressure, etc.)

Thank you

Dan1962
on 4/17/15 9:39 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

The two pieces of advice I would give your is track everything you eat and drink.  I use myfitnesspal.  Each dense proteins with a small amount of veggies and really low carbs.  I would eat 900 calories per day with 90 grams of proteins and 35 grams of carbs.  Also get a minimum of 64 oz of water per day.  Good luck to you.

astueckroth
on 4/18/15 12:06 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 06/27/14

I do track everything and but with no expectations as to what I was supposed to be eating aside from protein which I was originally told 60+ with the expectation that I was supposed to actually get closer to 100. But what does your day look like if you are only doing 900 calories? I struggle to keep below 1300/day.

Thank You

Dan1962
on 4/19/15 12:36 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I'll send you my typical day later on today.  I'm mobile now and it's I'm not tech savvy enough:). I'm on my tea break of my sunday morning 5 mile walk.

clubnewyou
on 4/17/15 10:40 pm - TN

At your stage my surgeon told me that by no means is thesleeve a cure . We still have to do our part. I thought it would work like magic but it doesn't. As long as slider foods exists it won't work. I have notice that the more I exercise the more I see a loss in my weight. And when I dont my weight stays the same.Carb counting helps as well. 

For the most part the only exercise I do is walking but it makes a big difference when I get on the scale.

astueckroth
on 4/18/15 12:07 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 06/27/14

I'm unfamiliar with the term "slider foods" and I will admit my exercise regimen had fallen apart when I switched to nightshift (I never wanted to be a nurse lol) but I just signed up for a Spartan Run in October so I have to get back at it.

What are realistic goals for carbs?

psychoticparrot
on 4/18/15 2:12 am

Slider foods are foods that go through the sleeve very quickly and don't give you a feeling of satiety but still pack a lot of calories. Examples are any liquid that has calories in it (alcoholic beverages, milkshakes, fruit juice, etc.), and processed carbs (potato chips, pastries, ice cream, mashed potatoes, etc.). 

My program rules are: 1. High-quality lean proteins (lean meat, chicken, fish, tofu, beans) are eaten first, then 2. High-quality carbs in the form of fresh vegetables and fruits. Approved beverages: Water (64 ounces daily), herbal teas, decaf coffee and tea. 

The ratio of proteins to carbs is 2:1. Eat 2/3 protein to 1/3 carbs. 

Hope this helps. Good luck!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

astueckroth
on 4/18/15 2:21 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 06/27/14

Thank you for clearing that up and for the quick reply.

I will try and incorporate some of this into my current plan which honestly was protein and calorie counting but I'm thinking I need to start seriously limiting carbs.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views