Surgery in 2 days

dartymaria
on 4/13/15 4:25 am - Ypsilanti, MI

m 58 years old and will be having my surgery in 2 days and I am a little scared.  I'm having my band removed and the sleeve as a replacement.  I would like to get some feedback on the pros and cons of having this surgery and what to look forward to.  I know that everyone is different but still would like to hear from other VSG. I  will be going to the hospital with gas strips, mouth moisture, I have purchased : Zip fizz - B 12,  Crystal light Hydration, carrot juice, all types of broth, puddings, tea, water, Senne stool softener, multi Vitumin, all sugar free.  I did purchase 100% fruit juice in apple and orange flavor.   I am looking for all the help I can get because this is so much different then my band.  My band surgery was June 16,2006 and it has slipped.  My goal weight is 168lbs but since my band slipped I have gained 30 lbs in the last 9 months. My weight now is 197lbs and I am 5'5.  My lowest weight was at 156 and I was in a size 6 which was small and made me look very sick.  I am in a 14/15 from a 8/10.  I refused to buy anymore clothes and would love to get back down to my goal weight.  I also fear that I will loss to much weight because you only can eat small portions and I may not have control over how much I loss.  I would like to loss 40lbs.

winehead
on 4/13/15 6:07 am

good luck I will be having mine also in 2 days, I'm sure we will do well.

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/15 6:33 am

I have butterflies in my stomach for you! I have a very similar background I am so excited for you all the same! You're starting a new passage in your life I am going on the 29th. This board has been very helpful to me everyone is been so generous and wise. Congratulations!

Shellster
on 4/13/15 10:10 am

My surgery is in 6 days, and i m having the same feelings. Best of luck to you. 

Ready2goNOW
on 4/13/15 10:37 am

Hi!

I am also 58, but still in the pre-op process. I cannot offer any advice, but share that my daughter has had the lap band and from day 1 had had issues. Her doctor is encouraging her to replace it with the sleeve.

Hope all goes well.

Kathy

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 4/13/15 10:12 pm, edited 4/13/15 10:12 pm
VSG on 03/16/15

I see you have gotten a lot of stuff ready for your stay at the hospital after your surgery.  I know I was glad I had some chapstick. I made a little tape anchor for it to sit on the little table side tray/table. This made it stay in one spot so when I was trying to find it in the middle of the night I didn't knock it off the table. Know where your nurse call button is and pain medication button is. I also made sure they gave me my little sponge on a stick to wet my mouth.  Other than that I just needed to get up and walk. They gave me everything else I needed. I also want to tell you to bring your charger for you phone if you have one. I have a tablet but never turned it on. Good luck .You got this

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

psychoticparrot
on 4/14/15 1:04 am

I'm 63 years old and had the surgery in February. The surgery and hospital stay went very smoothly -- no problems at all. When I got home, constant queasiness kept me from drinking enough water. I ended up having two visits to the ER with dehydration and a kidney infection. At about six weeks though, I had healed enough to be able to eat and drink enough and my energy level shot up. I feel better than I have in ten years.

I'm telling you this not to scare you but to advise you to take very good care of yourself when you get back home after the surgery. If you have any post-op problems, call your surgeon immediately. That was my mistake -- thinking I could handle things myself. 

Unfortunately, age is a factor with this surgery. You'll probably heal a bit more slowly than the younger ones here, but you will heal, and then life gets a whole lot better!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Paula1965
on 4/14/15 5:09 am
VSG on 04/01/15

Best of luck with your surgery! I'm almost 50 and will be 2 weeks post-op tomorrow.  I'm doing great - start full liquids tomorrow. Room temperature to warm liquids went down the best at first for me!

Paula

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

Most Active