Very Confusing!

ipray
on 4/19/15 1:19 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I have been trying to find information specifically pertaining to Vertical Sleeve patients concerning medications that are approved or not approved. I did a search first so that I wouldn't ask a redundant question, but the answers were all over the place and most of the information that I found was for Gastric Bypass patients. The following was one of the listings I found for medications approvided for various WLS. This doesn't make sense to me for Vertical Sleevers as it looks like it is stating that we cannot take vitamin D, along with Iron, Calcium and Protein supplements. (All of which I have been taking.) Am I reading this incorrectly? Does anyone have a current, accurate medication listing specifically for the Vertical Sleeve?  (I would like to give listing to my PCP as she is not really familar with VS requirements.) Thank you! PS The only information my NUT gave us was not to take NSAIDs.

Medication Recommendations after Various Bariatric Surgeries

Gastric Bypass       Gastric Banding   Sleeve Gastrectomy   Bilopancreatic Diversion DS
NSAIDs   No   No   No   No  
Baby Aspirin (81 mg)   YES, but consider individually   YES   YES   YES, but consider individually  
Acetaminophen   YES   YES   YES   YES  
Opiates   YES   YES   YES   YES  
Water Pills (Lasix)   NO, but consider individually   NO, but consider individually   NO, but consider individually   NO, but consider individually  
Vitamins (B12, C, D)   YES   NO   NO   YES  
Iron   YES   NO   NO   YES  
Calcium   YES   NO   NO   YES  
Protein Supplements   YES   NO   NO   YES  
Antacid   YES   YES   YES   YES  
Actigall (Anti- Gallstones)   YES   YES   YES   YES  
Insulin and Diabetes Pills   YES, under strict blood glucose control   YES, under strict blood glucose control   YES, under strict blood glucose control   YES, under strict blood glucose control  
Hypertension Pills (other than Lasix) YES, under strict blood glucose control   YES, under strict blood glucose control   YES, under strict blood glucose control   YES, under strict blood glucose control  
Antidepressants   YES   YES   YES   YES  
Extended-Release (XL, XR), Coated Medications   NO   YES   YES   NO  

mickeymantle
on 4/19/15 1:41 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

that makes no sense  just ask your surgeon

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

ipray
on 4/19/15 2:18 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I thought so too.  I found that listing at this website.  (It should be deleted.)  I did ask my surgeon and nut and they both said just stay away from NSAIDs.  Just want to make sure there isn't anything else I should stay away from.  Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/15 3:11 am

ipray, my center is a bariatric center of excellence and these are the recommendations I have from them:

Vitamins: daily multi (regular like centrum), B1 ****il lab levels are established - I take it only 3 times per week now), B12 sublingual 2500 mcg per week, 2000 iu D3 daily (dry D3 is recommended for rny patients). 1500 mg calcium citrate (not carbonate).

For me on a personal level, the bariatrician also has me taking 6000 mg fish oil every day and a copper supplement. Your blood work will show over time what needs to be taken to keep you in optimal health.

It is also recommended that I stay away from NSAIDs, but I am allowed to take an ibuprofen with food occasionally for headaches (Tylenol just doesn't work for me).

ipray
on 4/19/15 4:06 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Your response is soooo helpful! (As usual). I also take the vitamins with iron, calcium and B12.  When I previously asked my surgeon about the fish oil, which I was taking prior to surgery, he said he wasn't going to make a recommendation about herbals.  (He is not very helpful). I think I will start them back up again, as I don't like fish and do not eat alot of seafood. My current blood work showed that my cholesterol medication, (which my surgeon took me off of) was very high, so my PCP put me back on cholesterol medication. (Which I figured was OK because many other posters mentioned that they were on it as well). Concerning the NSAIDs, I have read that others take them occasionally as you do.  You have been so helpful in previous posts to others.  Thank you for your response and for helping us that haven't reached goal yet!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views