Anyone have Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy with SIPS? (Stomach Intestinal Pylorus Sparing...

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/15 8:29 am

Curious if anyone has had this "new" sleeve surgery and how you are progressing, any problems? etc.  I understand this is still considered "investigational". 

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/15 8:44 am

Don't know of anyone who has had it, but here is an abstract from NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20798995)

Single anastomosis duodeno-ileal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy (SADI-S). One to three-year follow-up.

Sánchez-Pernaute A1, Herrera MA, Pérez-Aguirre ME, Talavera P, Cabrerizo L, Matía P, Díez-Valladares L, Barabash A, Martín-Antona E, García-Botella A, Garcia-Almenta EM, Torres A.

Author information

Abstract

Single anastomosis duodeno-ileal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy (SADI-S) is a new operation for morbid obesity based on the biliopancreatic diversion in which a sleeve gastrectomy is followed by an end-to-side duodeno-ileal diversion. The preservation of the pylorus makes possible the reconstruction in one loop, which reduces operating time and needs no mesentery opening. We review the results obtained on the first 50 operated patients with 1 to 3 years follow-up. Eighteen men and 32 women with a mean BMI of 44 kg/m(2) were operated on. Hypertension was present in 50%, sleep apnea in 30%, hypertriglyceridemia in 60% and hypercholesterolemia in 43%.There were 27 type two diabetics, most of them on insulin therapy. There were two gastric staple-line leaks and one long-term subphrenic abscess. Follow-up is complete for 98% of the patients. Excess weight loss reached 94.7% at 1 year, and it was maintained over the second and third year. At 1 year, mild anemia has been detected in 10% of the cases. Albumin concentration was under normal levels in 8% of the patients in the first postoperative year, but all patients recovered to normal levels by the third postoperative year. All diabetic patients have normalized glucose or HbA1c levels after the sixth postoperative month with no need of anti-diabetic therapy. SADI-S is a promising operation which offers excellent weight loss and metabolic results. The elimination of one anastomosis reduces operative time and decreases the possibility of surgically related complications.

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/15 8:50 am

Thank you for posting, Kairk. I have actually read this before. I wanted to get some input from those who have had it done. 

hollykim
on 4/20/15 9:52 am, edited 4/20/15 9:53 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 20, 2015 at 3:29 PM Pacific Time, hefty41 wrote:

Curious if anyone has had this "new" sleeve surgery and how you are progressing, any problems? etc.  I understand this is still considered "investigational". 

I was given it instead of the DS I requested. It was apparently done incorrectly and I had had huge amounts of bile ,not acid,bile reflux from it. I only lost 12 pounds.  It was an add on after the VSG. 

I am 5 weeks post op from revising to the DS.

Pianolover
on 4/20/15 12:48 pm

I had this--I agree the many different names for it is confusing. my dr calls it the single anastomosis duodenal switch. I'm about 6 weeks out, so i'm still a newbie. message me if you have specific questions.

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

Valerie G.
on 4/21/15 12:19 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You'll find more of these  people on the DS forum

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/15 11:19 pm

Thank you Valerie, I will post there. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views