Intense Travel 5 Weeks Post Sleeve Surgery--Advice Wanted

almosttogoal
on 4/25/15 3:40 am

I'm undergoing a revision from a slipped lapband to a sleeve this week. I am only about 20 pounds from my goal. However, as this was an unexpected situation, I'm concerned about my future travels. I received a fellowship to travel abroad and it will begin 5 weeks after my surgery. Declining the fellowship is not something I want to do--it's a great opportunity.

I know that it varies from person to person and that if there are any complications. that will make a difference, but for a young/otherwise healthy person and a smooth operation/recovery, is 5 weeks enough time to heal before embarking on a 2-month trip? I will be traveling (by train, plane, bus) approximately every week during those two months. Otherwise (hopefully!) doing a lot of sightseeing and lecturing. I have purchased trip insurance, so if I need to fly back to the US for an emergency situation, I'm covered. The places I'm traveling to all have excellent healthcare, and my companion is well-informed about my situation. I plan to do nothing but rest and try to recover for the 5 weeks leading up to the trip.

I guess I'm asking for tips on energy so I'm not exhausted as well as things to look out for/be vigilant concerning. Multivitamin recommendations, etc.? I have a prescription for 30 days of Prevacid; should I get enough to cover those 2 months?

All words of advice and caution are welcome. General stories about how you felt 5 weeks out of a sleeve would be great information. Thank you all in advance.

psychoticparrot
on 4/25/15 6:27 am

My story 5 weeks out is not a pretty one. I was in a Florida ER with severe dehydration and a kidney infection. I recovered and am okay now at 3 months out. Remember though, that I'm neither young nor in good health, so I was probably at more risk for complications than younger patients. It seems that every sleeve patient has a story to tell. Most come out well; a few have a heck of a time. Personally, I would take every precaution while you are traveling, just in case.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

MissNexxie
on 4/25/15 6:32 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I think if you take it very easy during those first 5 weeks your energy will be reasonable although you may still get tired. My concern would be with carrying luggage. Lifting restrictions need are usually in place for 6 weeks, no more than 10-15 lbs. Not something to trifle with. What does your surgeon says?

Make sure you have protein powder with you as it can be hard to hit protein targets at first (especially when traveling) plus you have to ensure you get your water in. Dehydration is a real risk and has difficult consequences.

Good luck.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Sasny
on 4/25/15 10:50 am
VSG on 03/20/12

Hi

Recovery varies from person to person but I would have had zero issues with travel 5 weeks out.  One week post op I returned to my desk job - which was easier than being home with my 2 and 3 year old.  I was 41 at surgery and in good health.  Ten days post op took the family to Washington DC for a long sightseeing weekend.  Needed to take a nap each day on the trip when the kids napped but aside from that no issues.  At five weeks post op energy was great.  Being about 27 pounds down from surgery weight was helpful.

Good luck!

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 4/25/15 12:49 pm
VSG on 03/16/15

I will be 6 weeks post op this coming monday. I am ready to travel the world. I was ready Monday but I do still have a 10 lb restriction on lifting in place. Just make sure you learn how to eat and drink to get your requirements in. The earlier posters have some great tips.

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

poplargreys
on 4/25/15 12:54 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I am not quite 4 weeks out and I feel totally normal, other than slight twinges near my largest incision. No exhaustion, no problems eating or drinking or excercising. As long as I kept to a schedule for vitamins, drinking, eating and walking I don't think I would have any problems traveling right now. YMMV, of course.

mickeymantle
on 4/25/15 3:52 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

depending on your food plan , you might be just starting to eat so,ad food

when on liquid diet diarrhea is common and when you start solid food constipation is common and this would not be great on a long bus trip

extra care will be needed in other countries the germs in there water are different than the ones in ours drink bottles water or filtered water , make shore you can buy protien powder where you are going or are legally able to bring it into the countries your going to

flying back to the Us in an emergency  may not be possible, it may be unsafe to fly if you are very sick and the airlines might refuse to let you on a plane if you are sick and going thru customs  if you are sick might be a problem 

if you go on this trip you need to do a lot of planing , your surgeon might no doctors in the countries your going to that you can see if you need help  

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Friends K.
on 4/26/15 12:18 am
RNY on 01/14/14

6 weeks post op I went on spring break or Disney land. Easy peasy. A lot is things to learn while traveling, egging enoug protein, drinking at the right times and such. I was only gone a week but it would be doable if it had been me.

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

Valerie G.
on 4/26/15 2:58 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

5 weeks post op was just the cusp of me starting to feel like myself again.  Be extra vigilant from day 1 to do everything your body needs, from protein to hydration...especially hydration.  Its going to be hard, but you have something to inspire you.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active