Eating Out

David F.
on 4/25/15 9:47 am - Henderson, NV

So I don't know if anyone else is going through this but, prior to surgery I hated eating out by myself. Now after surgery I hate it even more! Last night I wanted a chicken taco. So I go to my local Mexican joint and order a taco...then I order a plate as well. I did this because I felt self conscious about only ordering a taco. There is this voice in my head that thinks that the person who I am ordering from is looking at me like " look at this big ass dude only ordering a taco". So I ordered the plate then took it home to my bro in law. Same thing happened again today, I ordered a kids meal and a regular meal because the same thing went through my head again. Now I have an extra meal that is going to last me all day. anyone else go through this way of thinking?

Daveo

Surgery: Feb 9, 2015   HW: 517SW: 467

TallBadger2015
on 4/25/15 9:54 am

Good job on not eating more than just the taco.  It takes an enormous amount of self discipline to not dive into the chips and salsa at most mexican places.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about what that person thinks about you ordering just 1 taco.  I know how you feel though.  But what's to say that the person taking your order would or wouldn't think that?  As prevalent as WLS is now, there's a high percentage of people who might have a friend or family member who is going through the same thing.  Don't sweat it, but don't be afraid to just order one item or a small plate when you go out. 

Highest Recorded Weight: 454/Starting Weight:  433.7/Surgery Weight:  419/Current Weight:  353

mickeymantle
on 4/25/15 10:06 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

if you order it to go they don't know who eats itit might be a kid and mostly they don't care as long as you pay for what you get there happy

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Dan1962
on 4/25/15 10:57 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I have done the same exact thing.  I have since reeled it in.  I started watching normal sized people and what they order and it was similar to what I was supposed to be eating.  I commonly order a bowl of chili for example eat half and ask for a container to take the rest home.  Be selfish and think about you and what you need not what anyone else thinks.

Hislady
on 4/25/15 11:26 am - Vancouver, WA

Trust me the servers could care less they just want to get done with their shift and get on with their lives. Most people are in a hurry and just want to get the order and go. So just order what you want and move on, they don't care whether its a taco or a meal as long as you pay for it!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/25/15 11:32 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I admit I haven't eaten at the fast food restaurant in a long time, even pre surgery I always brought my food home to eat, I was never comfortable eating out in public, especially by myself. I had those thoughts of people thinking eww how can she eat all that?, even when I wasn't eating anymore than them.

Even now I think do I really need to keep shopping in BJ's or Costco? Too much food to go thru, a lot ends up in the freezer now.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

frisco
on 4/25/15 1:45 pm

Gotta get over it..... forever is a long time.....

Don't let anyone or anything get in your way !!!!

I'd order the taco without the tortilla (I do it all the time) comes on a plate with veggies, kinda like a taco salad.

That said.... if the taco was $5 I leave a tip like I ate a meal.

In the end.... it's just another feeding.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Goose Bump
on 4/26/15 1:28 am

Honesty time, NO ONE GIVES A F**K, and you shouldn't either! NO F's GIVEN! its your body and you can eat as little as you want! I know its hard... But seriously in order to succeed you cant worry about what others think!!! 

VSG on 6/25/14  HW:360 GW:170  33yo 5'8''

KathyA999
on 4/26/15 4:55 am

Reminds me of the bad ole days.  Pre-surgery, I would go to a fast food place, usually drive thru, and order huge amounts of food, all for me, but I'd get two drinks, just to make it look like I was ordering for two people.  This, even after my Overeaters Anonymous sponsor used to tell me it was none of my business what other people think.  And I know that most people are so self-involved that, as a PP said, they don't give a f*ck what other people are doing.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Sandra F.
on 4/26/15 11:13 pm

Totally relate to this.  We have a Mexican restaurant that we go to frequently, so we know the wait staff well.  Prior to surgery, I ordered a regular meal and usually finished it.  Now I order 1 taco or 1 enchilada or an appetizer, so I felt the need to explain to one of the owners that waits on us.  My husband doesn't like me telling people--says it is none of their business, but this woman looked at me like I had 3 eyes when I first ordered only 1 taco.  She acted like I all of a sudden didn't like the food or something, so I explained to her and now she is okay with it. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views