Yesterday was the day

Mary B.
on 4/24/15 2:37 pm - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

I got my sleeve yesterday morning.  Everything went very smoothly.  Today when the doctor came to remove the drain and discharge me, he was totally surprised to hear that I had no pain.  That's right--no pain.  Also, I asked if it was OK to chug water, which I had done several times since surgery.  Again, he as amazed.  He explained that even though I could chug, it wasn't a good idea while I'm healing, so I should just sip.

Although I'm having no real pain, it is uncomfortable when I get out of a recliner or bend over to pick up something from the floor, like the cats' bowls.  I haven't felt the need to take any Tylenol yet.

From reading prior posts and the doctor's reaction, I know I am very lucky.  I hope that those who get the sleeve down the line are as fortunate.

Now the real work begins!

Age 63, HW 289, SW 273

MissNexxie
on 4/24/15 2:51 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

Congratulations on your sleeve and being on the loser's bench! 

Please do not chug water. Your sleeve is only a couple ounces in size and needs to heal. You should not drink more than one ounce every 15 mins or so.  The nerves are cut which is why you don't feel restriction but it is there. You must remember that and take small sips. Same goes with food: small bites with lots of chewing.

Good luck on your journey.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Joanna B
on 4/24/15 3:29 pm - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

You are doing amazing!!! Glad that you had a easy surgery and hope that the recovery is fast!!

psychoticparrot
on 4/25/15 1:06 am

Now you're one of us -- MWAHHH HAHA! . Just kidding.

I also had very little pain immediately post-op. I don't want to be a wet blanket, but you have a lot of healing ahead of you. Be careful and stick to your surgeon's post op instructions. I didn't and ended up in the ER twice. I'm okay now, though.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

ipray
on 4/25/15 1:27 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I am so happy for you! Take it easy for the first couple of weeks as you are healing. Everything will start getting much easier after you have finished your post-op food phases. Thanks for sharing!

starchygirl
on 4/25/15 4:24 am

Congratulations Mary! i find it very encouraging that you have no pain and were able to leave the hospital so soon. I am scheduled for my sleeve in July and have been reading horror stories on my local support group site about the pain and discomfort.  I have a high threshold for pain, but was worried.  Thank you for sharing your experience. . . I feel better.

Beverly H.
on 4/25/15 4:42 am
VSG on 05/20/15

That's great! I hope that my surgery goes as smooth.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views