Can't Get the Protein Math

LuckyDuck
on 4/27/15 7:51 am

Hi all! My surgery date is WEDNESDAY! And I'm getting pretty freaked out but also very excited! I'm sitting here at home with a calculator trying to figure out how many grams of protein/calories/fats/carbs I will be eating after surgery and I can't figure it out.

I'm very lactose intolerant and sensitive to artificial sugars, so after much searching I discovered this protein powder:

http://myvega.com/product/protein-smoothie/

It's really delicious, and I used Silk Unsweetened Soy Milk to blend it with. Thanks to the Bariatric Foodie Shake Cookbook, I have all these great recipes for shakes that taste pretty good! 

Here's my dilemma:

For each shake, the 15 grams of protein from the powder + 7 grams from the soy milk = 22 total grams of protein. After surgery, my NUT told me we're to aim for 60-70 grams a day. However, these shakes are pretty big. Especially when blended with ice, SF/FF pudding mix, etc. After all the blending, they end up like 12oz+. How will I be able to fit that into my stomach? And if I only eat half of it, then I get half the protein, which isn't enough - 11 grams/shake at 5 shakes/day = 55 grams, and I'm supposed to have at least 60. 70 is ideal.

Also, the calories. It's 90 calories for the chocolate flavored protein. 80 cals for the soy milk. Without any additional ad-ins, that's 170 calories right there. My paperwork says after surgery (for the two weeks right after) I should aim for ~650 cals a day. 170 x 5 = 850. That seems like too much, right?

Vega Protein (and can I give them a shout out? What amazing customer service! I was so happy to find an all-natural, vegan protein powder!) also makes another powder that has 22 grams of protein, (plus from the soy milk, it would be 22 grams + 7 grams = 29 total grams of protein) but 160 calories in the powder alone:

http://myvega.com/product/protein-greens/

If I blend that with soy milk, that's 160 cals + 80 cals for the milk = 240 cals, which is too much for a protein shake, I think. Even if it does give me 29 grams of protein. All these calculations are for 8oz of soy milk, btw, which is what the manufacturer recommends. I feel like if I mix a full scoop of powder with 4oz or 6oz, it will taste pretty terrible.

I just want to make sure I do this right and don't screw anything up. I want to make sure I eat enough protein but also have the right amount of calories so I lose weight healthfully and effectively. I mean, part of the reason I'm doing surgery and not just dieting is things like how, right now, I'm eating WAYYYY less than I ever had before - a mostly liquid diet - and I lost 8 lbs. the first week (probably mostly water weight) and 1 lb. this week. My body just doesn't want to let go of the weight the traditional way. I need help! And I want to succeed!

So anyway. Thanks for any help you can give me regarding this protein math. I really appreciate it!

29yo, 5'2" ? Sleeved 4-29-15 ? HW: 255.6 ? SW: 246.5 ? CW: 160 ? GW: 155.6

Dan1962
on 4/27/15 8:02 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Stop thinking so much :)  The most important thing your first couple of weeks is the liquid not the protein.  Your body has a huge reserve of nutrients and once you have the surgery, it will be a struggle to get the liquid in.  Don't obsess on a phase that will only last 10-14 days typically.  Once you have the surgery spend the time moving and drinking.  

Good luck!

Pianolover
on 4/27/15 8:23 am

Like someone said above, don't worry too much about it! For the first days, just getting in the clear liquids is the priority. My instructions were to start protein drinks on day 8 after surgery.

Since it sounds like you have an issue with the amount and texture of the drinks, let me suggest Syntrax nectar protein powder. The green apple and orange flavors are my staples. (vitalady sells samples of each flavor for $3 each on her website). Even with the one scoop of powder, if you mix it right it can be thin like juice. I usually do 3-3.5 oz of water with mine and add an ice cube to keep it cold. I used to just add the water, throw in the powder all at once, and then shake it with my blender bottle, but that didn't work too well because it usually ended up pretty chunky. Now I just pu****er in first, then mix the powder in slowly, beating it with a fork.

As far as calories go....you can always use water, or unsweetened almond milk is only 30 calories per serving.

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

LuckyDuck
on 4/27/15 9:00 am

Thanks everyone! Ok, so if I just kind of let things take their course for the first couple weeks, by then I will probably be able to start mushy food. I guess then I'll have to calorie count to keep it 800 cals and under? I see some people just measure the protein? Or just cals and protein but not carbs and fat? This is so confusing!!

Pianolover
on 4/27/15 9:49 am

Definitely ask your dr's office their guidelines on when to start protein drinks. I would pick a protein powder that is 200 cals or less per serving. The only time so far that I actually measure calories is when I go to the dr's office and they make me add it all up! Last time I went, it looked like my usual day only consists of about 700 cals. I don't keep a log, but just a mental track throughout the day of how much protein I get in. I don't really worry about calories at this point (7 wks out), since my 3 meals a day only consist of 4 oz or less....I physically can't overeat. I usually do an egg (70 cals), greek yogurt (80 cals), string cheese (50 cals), or salmon (80 cals).

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

LuckyDuck
on 4/27/15 10:56 am

My Dr's guidelines are protein drinks almost exclusively after the first 1-2 days of clear liquids. Two weeks of protein shakes  - with a little yogurt, SF/FF pudding, creamed soups, etc. thrown in - then mushy foods. 

The guidelines say:

Average Calories: ~650

Average Carbs: ~80

Average Fats: ~6-12

Average Protein: ~70

I just want to make sure I won't blow it just with the shakes. I guess I can add some Unjury Chicken Soup Protein to some soup to add in some extra protein...

Tracy D.
on 4/28/15 3:39 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I would suggest not even messing with SF/FF pudding.  There's really no need to include them in your shakes; the artificial sweeteners can mess with your stomach; and the fact it tastes so sweet can actually stimulate your desire for "more" sweet.  Avoid! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

BabyBlues79
on 4/27/15 10:31 am
VSG on 05/07/15

My surgery is on the 7th and trust me I'm having the same questions in my own mind so thank you for posting this

Jessca
on 4/27/15 10:31 am
RNY on 04/20/15

If you drink 3 full shakes a day that's 66 grams of protein and around 36oz of liquid. You can't drink it all at once it will likely take you an hour (or more) per shake. My ready to drink shakes are 11oz so around the same size it's no biggie. 

HW 313 SW 273 CW 208

M1 - 25 M2 - 10 M3 - 12 M4 - 9 M5 - 5 M6 - 4

Jessca
on 4/27/15 10:35 am, edited 4/27/15 10:35 am
RNY on 04/20/15

Oh and I see you calculated your calories wrong. You split your shakes in half and x 5 for the protein but the calories should also split in half x 5 so 85x5 not 170x5. But like I said 3 full shakes would probably be better so 3x170=510

HW 313 SW 273 CW 208

M1 - 25 M2 - 10 M3 - 12 M4 - 9 M5 - 5 M6 - 4

Most Active