Scared of WLS

cassiopeia
on 5/2/15 5:57 am

Hi there,

I'm new to this group and am currently looking for some help, feedback or thoughts. Here is my story. I'm 31 years old and am struggling with the following health issues: diabetes, high blood pressure, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and obstructive sleep apnea. I feel very young to be struggling with these issues and I lost my father from a heart attack at the age of 52. My doctor is recommending weight loss surgery but I am scared. About a year and a half ago, I looked into surgery but felt like I could lose weight on my own and wasn't quite ready. Since then, my blood sugar has increased despite weight loss and medication, and I feel as if my genetics has a lot to do with this.

I'm finally at a place where I think this might be a real option, and I think I would prefer the sleeve. I'm wondering what ultimately made people decide that the sleeve was the right choice for them and what health issues improved as a result of surgery. How have your medications/use of CPAP changed? What is life like after surgery? I certainly don't believe that this is the easy way out, but how hard is life after surgery? I don't know anyone who has had surgery so I don't know what to expect. It's just such a permanent solution that it scares me. If any sleevers could offer some perspectives, I'd greatly appreciate it!

yogamom28
on 5/2/15 7:31 am

Hi Cassi,

I am getting ready to have the sleeve this week.  There are just so many people I know who have had it, some a few years out already, who just look absolutely amazing and feel so fantastic with their "new" lives.  Repeatedly, I hear, it was "the best decision ever."  The best person to discuss which WLS is best for you would be a surgeon, I think.  Some prefer the sleeve because of fewer malabsorption issues. Some must have the bypass for other reasons.  Everyone I know if off their meds for diabetes and HBP meds too.  

Good luck with your decision!!

Oneillch
on 5/2/15 12:12 pm, edited 5/2/15 1:43 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

On 5/4, I will be 3 months out from surgery. For me, the first month was a little tough, but I immediately was taken off my meds for blood pressure & diabetes (last A1c was 5.6) and I'm hoping to come off cholesterol meds. Just keep in mind that everyone's weight loss is different. Some lose faster than others & some experience stalls in their weight loss. To date, I have lost a total of 70 lbs (20lbs working with nutritionist, 10lbs on pre-op diet, & 40lbs since surgery). Has it changed my life? YES, in so many ways. Besides not having to take the meds, I no longer snore or dread having to climb the stairs and for the first time in I don't know how long, I can cross my legs. And now my "someday I'll lose enough weight to fit into these clothes" are too big. I do miss some things like soda and drinking with my meals, but these are small concessions. I will go out for dinner, but now I pre-plan what I'm having (thanks to online menus, nutritional info & myfitnesspal.com) & leftovers are for the next day's meal and not a midnight snack! Yes, getting in all my fluids, weighing & measuring & logging my food is a pain, but I've just decided that it's like breathing. You just gotta do it to live! 

I'm so greatful to have had this surgery & I wish I had the opportunity to do it sooner. Good luck with whatever decision you make! 

mickeymantle
on 5/2/15 3:49 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I had the surgery because my diabetes was getting worse I could hardly walk and did not want to end up in a wheel chair or worse

I was off my insulin and byetta the day I came home  from the hospital and just got off my metiformin after 1 1/2 years and losing over 175 lb , I walk with no problems now

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Scott S.
on 5/2/15 9:15 pm - TX

I sstrugled with my weight for 15 years prior to surgery.  My decision came after a fall a few years ago.  I was not able to recover physically on my own.  Back and knee pain became a daily issue and eventually, I had to realize that it was more weight related than anything.  I had surgery fall 2013.  Like may, I should have done it sooner.  I always said it would be a must do when I got to a point I couldn't do it myself.

Reaize that the surgery is a tool.  It controls intake.  You will still need to be conscious of what you eat and how you exercise.

Good luck with your decision.

Scott

VSG: 8/8/13 

Nikke2003
on 5/3/15 2:15 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

You say that it's a permanent solution that scares you... but to that I say, "You couldn't pay me enough money to take that 85% of my stomach back!!" lol

It's a drastic step and it seems scary, but I can tell you that almost 2 years out my life seems very "normal" - not that we ever really know what "normal" is... I didn't have any medications or a CPAP machine, but I was younger like you when I had the surgery and what did it for me was seeing my father-in-law pass away. I thought, "Do I really want to die at a young age like this because I couldn't put the fork down??"

We all know it's more complicated than just putting fork down, at least mentally. I always say that the concept of losing weight (eat less, move more) is easy but the execution is not. I would highly recommend getting therapy before, during, and after the process to work through some of the feelings. It did wonders for me.

Surgery really helped me get a jump start on getting back on the right track and now I feel as though it's completely up to me to maintain it. To be honest, I could somewhat easily eat enough food to put me right back at 444 lbs, but I have such a great life and my health is great, I don't want to screw it up. Surgery made that possible - and this is coming from someone that last 107 lbs in the six months leading up to surgery.

I realize I have rambled and this probably wasn't helpful... but all I can say is that I could do this surgery annually if I had to because it has been completely worth it to get my life back. I feel like I'm living instead of jus****ching life happen from the sidelines.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

cappy11448
on 5/3/15 3:48 am, edited 5/3/15 3:50 am

Hi,

I want to encourage you to have the surgery.  I avoided it until I was over 60 and very obese, and I wish I had done it sooner.  It really works.  I had all your health issues except diabetes (probably because I had been living low carb for over a decade.)

I was so afraid of the surgery and it was such a non-event.  I had little pain, no nausea (thanks to anti-nausea meds).  I did feel like I had the flu for about thee days - headache, tired and achey, but it was really a non-issue.  The recovery was not fun but not terrible. It took a while to get used to my new tummy.   It probably took 6 to 9 months before I felt like normal again.  I call it a new-normal.  Now that I'm 2 years post op, I lost 225 pounds, and I'm a normal BMI, and I feel great. 

My blood pressure is normal - almost too low!  I got rid of my CPAP at about 1 year post op.  The aches in my knees and back are gone.  I fit in an airplane seat.  I can keep up with the best of them and I've been able to travel and enjoy the strenuous tours without any problems.  

This weight loss surgery really works.  Obesity is a disease and WLS is a treatment that works.  I think you will be delighted that you did it.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

MegZorar
on 5/3/15 3:59 am, edited 5/3/15 4:00 am

Hiya cassiopeia,

My doctor gave me the choice between the RNY and the sleeve. Went with the sleeve because of the freedom to eat without dumping and other adverse reactions to certain foods. For the most part, the sleeve allows you to eat "anything"--which is good and bad. Good because of the freedom to have a "normal" diet without many mandatory exclusions; bad because it's not hard to eat unhealthy foods.

For me, I liked the idea of freedom to choose. Also liked that the sleeve wouldn't "rewire" the digestive system the way the RNY does.

Whichever surgery you choose (if any), prepare to work hard. I haven't read the other comments, but you've probably heard this before. You're still going to have to pay attention to each meal, exercise, drink plenty of water etc. The sleeve is a powerful tool, but it's just one cog in the wheel.

Good luck to you!

Gwen M.
on 5/3/15 9:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You're welcome to read my blog - the link is below.  

Life is amazing post-op.  My life is harder than it was before surgery.. before surgery I spent a lot of time sitting on my butt.  Now I work hard, exercise a lot, and care more.  Continuing to be obese would have been easier for sure.  And dying from obesity would have been significantly more permanent than my sleeve!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sandra F.
on 5/3/15 11:12 pm

I have PCOS too, I am 40 and we have been trying to conceive for many years (been married 19 and we've been trying almost that whole time).  I am 7 months post-op and I am down 79 lbs.  I am trying to lose another 55-60 more and hoping to be able to have a baby.  I encourage you to do this now, while you are still young enough to conceive if this is important to you.  I was extremely scared too, but I do not regret it for one moment.  Yesterday I bought a shirt at Kohls (which I previously couldn't shop at because their biggest size wouldn't fit me) and it is a 1x and too big.  VERY grateful for this surgery and the opportunity it has provided me. 

Most Active