Gall bladder

jramsey71
on 5/5/15 7:23 am

Anyone having or had any problems with your gal bladder 

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/15 8:55 am, edited 5/5/15 8:56 am - AZ

I had a gallbladder attack, and ended up in the hospital for emergency surgery to remove it... This was 11 months after VSG... I had no prior problems with it. I did have complications and ended up back in the hospital a week later, due to stones still in the duct... The surgery recovery wasn't bad at all though.

mickeymantle
on 5/6/15 7:31 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

crappy surgeon not checking for stones before and during the surgery , cat scan or ultra sound would show if there are any and where they are

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/15 7:39 am - AZ
On May 6, 2015 at 2:31 PM Pacific Time, mickeymantle wrote:

crappy surgeon not checking for stones before and during the surgery , cat scan or ultra sound would show if there are any and where they are

100% agree!!! I was so mad at that Dr.

Ms.Bev
on 5/5/15 9:00 am - Pleasant Prairie, WI
VSG on 01/05/15

Hi, Yep, I had 2 gallbladder attacks within 6 weeks of surgery. I have had hints of issues previously but not for a few years. In my case they checked for gallstones but no stones showed up in the ultrasound. I was then sent for a HIDA scan where they scanned my abdomen for 1 hour then had me drink ensure and scanned for another hour. In my case it turned out that my gallbladder is not functioning. My attacks have subsided for now so my surgeon elected to take the wait and see approach. 

I you feel better soon if you are experiencing issues. Bring it up with your surgeon. 

jramsey71
on 5/5/15 9:39 am

I been having pain on my left side just under my rib cage. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to go to the doctor because I usually think it's nothing. 

MissNexxie
on 5/5/15 1:01 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

Gallbladder pain is normally on the right side under the ribs. It can also radiate to the back and right shoulder.

I had mine out two weeks ago. Started having attacks about 4 months post-vsg which felt like a Charley horse under my sternum that increased in intensity and lasted up to four hours. Nothing abated it, not sitting, standing, lying down. They became more frequent and an ultrasound showed gallstones. Had to have it out as each attack got worse.

Please get it checked. Better to be sure than risk your health. Recovery has been easier than VSG recovery.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

jramsey71
on 5/5/15 1:04 pm

Plan on getting an appointment next week. Would do it this week but my daughter is having her wisdom teeth removed Friday and I need to be able to take care of her. 

LML8789
on 5/6/15 6:03 am

Don't ignore your symptoms.  I had some mild discomfort starting about 6 months after surgery.  One night I had an attack but it only lasted about 45 minutes.  Decided to wait until the next time I would see my surgeon two months later because I was busy.  My next attack was 1 1/2 months later (2 weeks before I was to see my surgeon)--It lasted 24 hours and when they were taking me into surgery, my gallbladder ruptured. (10 months after WLS)  thankfully I've had no lasting problems from it.  I was very lucky and I realize you shouldnt ignore the signs your body is giving you.  And as others have said; recovery from the gallbladder surgery is fairly easy-good luck!--Lisa

Most Active