VSG SELF PAY Process

mimi_b
on 5/3/15 5:17 pm - Portland, OR

Hi! I've just become a member. I have barely begun the VSG process and I can't really seem to find any information on the process of self pay. I'm specifically interested in the amount of time it takes from the initial consultation to the surgery. Of course, I know everyone is different, but if anyone has a story, I would love to hear it.

Basically I have been researching this for a while and have finally made the decision to go through with it. The only problem is that I am out of the country for the next two months finishing up college and I can't really start the process until I get home. The waiting is tough, but I have contacted a clinic about my consultation and filled out the paperwork, so I'm hoping to get a consultation as soon as I'm home. I am 100% committed and have done my research, so I'm just looking forward to getting a surgery date. I'm sick and tired of carrying around all of this extra weight. I'm sure most can relate.

Thank you! Hope to hear back soon! xxx

carriebryant81
on 5/3/15 9:31 pm

I am using Dr. Borland. My surgery date was set 3 weeks after my first consultation. I got all my pre-op things done and sent my checks the day after my consultation. My surgery is this morning at 9!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 5/3/15 10:44 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

I was not self pay. I think the timeline depends on whether you are getting it done stateside or else where. Many people go to Mexico.

Sandra F.
on 5/3/15 10:58 pm

I was self-pay but went to Mexico as I could not afford the $19000.00 that they wanted locally.  I just paid a small down payment and booked my surgery.  I booked a little ways out so that I could get a good deal on airline tickets, but I probably could have booked sooner if I had wanted to.  Not sure what the process is in the US.

Kiwideb
on 5/3/15 11:25 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

Pretty much it's when the doc next has an open slot. I only had to have preoperative testing done 7 days before (no scopes/scans etc etc).

MommaGbear
on 5/4/15 1:13 am
VSG on 04/29/15 with

I had my surgery 5 days ago. I went to Las Vegas for surgery as it was significantly less expensive than staying in AZ. (Dr. Bernie Hanna was awesome!) It took me about a month from first phone contact to surgery date. I had to get pre-op clearance from my local PCP, and I had phone consults for psych and nutritionist. It was really quite smooth, and the time just flew by.

mickeymantle
on 5/4/15 1:40 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it dependeds on the surgeon , most surgeons in the USA will want you to get a bunch of tests that can take a few months but it is safer

in Mexico you usually get an appointment get down there the day before get a blood test and a ekg and get surgery the next day

If you go to Mexico make shore to use one of the better known surgeons  there are a lot of quacks  that could not get there license in the US down there 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

mimi_b
on 5/4/15 2:58 am - Portland, OR

Hi! Thank you for your response! I notice that you are a fellow Oregonian! I was wondering if you happened to look into any doctors in the Pacific Northwest? I was looking into OHSU because it's obviously really close, but it definitely is not as good. So I scheduled my consultation with Dr. Srikanth in Federal Way, WA. I don't think I will go to Mexico, as I am still pretty young and my parents would definitely not go for that (not to say there's anything wrong- just that they aren't comfortable with it).

mimi_b
on 5/4/15 2:59 am - Portland, OR

Thank you for your help, everyone! Seems like the process for Self-Pay is a relatively quick one, after you've decided to go through with it!
Thanks! xxx

Stacy_WLS
on 5/4/15 4:32 am

I was able to schedule my consultation about a week after I called.  It then took just over a month to get everything done and have the surgery -- this was very fast for my doctor.  I pushed to keep the timeline short b/c I wanted my recovery to be over the holidays to have extra support and less time off work.

Good Luck!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Most Active