Where's the Beef?

paragondream
on 5/3/15 7:19 pm

*POSTING THIS IN VSG AND DIET AND NUTRITION FORUMS*

So as a newly pre-op I am starting to take the stroll down Protein Lane, trying to get starting stocking up on the goodies.

Just ooooooone small catch...

I'm lactose intolerant...it's not a pretty sight...it could be classified as down-right frightening...

So questions are:

1. Is the whey in protein even enough to set off ye ol' time bomb?

But more importantly:

2. Has anyone had experience using plant based protein powders and have any suggestions?

~Paragondream

rocky513
on 5/3/15 9:52 pm, edited 5/4/15 1:01 am - WI

I'm lactose intolerant and drink Whey Isolate mixed with water.  Whey Isolate is 99% lactose-free (it usually will say 99% lactose-free on the label somewhere).  Read the label and if it contains whey concentrate, it has lactose in it.  Protein powders can be mixed with water, almond milk, soy, milk, or cashew milk.  Most folks with lactose intolerance can eat Greek yogurt and cheese.  Both are good sources of protein.  Jay Robb makes an egg based protein powder that many WLS patients use.  You can use plant based protein too, but they don't have as high protein numbers and you will have to drink more. 

edited to add:  Don't stock up on too much protein.  Your tastes will change so much after surgery.  You might like the protein and hate it after surgery.   Many people pick up samples from vitamin shops to try them out.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

paragondream
on 5/4/15 1:05 pm

:) Thanks for the info! Getting excited/nervous as all hell. Same thing, right? ;)

~Paragondream

LeapSecond
on 5/4/15 9:14 pm - AR

I used SunWarrior protein powders in a daily green smoothie, before surgery.  It is pea, hemp, brown rice proteins and the taste was better than most.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Most Active