Not enough calories and SCARED

littlecharolais
on 5/6/15 5:56 pm

I'm 4 months post-op and down 56 pounds. I'm completely happy about the weight loss, but I feel awful. I'm depressed and I have very little energy. I'm *maybe* getting 400-500 calories a day right now, and I'm having a very difficult time trying to find a way to increase my intake. Food is still very hard to digest. I'm taking multivitamins and drinking my protein shakes, but my recent blood work came back showing signs of hypoglycemia and anemia. My doctor wants me to go to the hospital for fluids bi-weekly, and I'm scared to death about the future. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm definitely having "buyers remorse" despite the weight loss. Help. Thank you, in advance! 

Surgery: 12/31/14 Height: 5'6" SW: 206 CW: 150

Hislady
on 5/6/15 6:14 pm - Vancouver, WA

Are you having trouble with dehydration too? Otherwise why does he want you to get IV fluids? Are you taking an iron supplement to help the anemia? Thousands of people have hypoglycemia even people who haven't had weight loss surgery, I had it myself for awhile when I was younger. That is fairly easily controlled with diet. The anemia should also be fairly easily treated with an iron supplement, it is pretty common too. None of the things you have mentioned are very serious or life threatening if treated. I think your depression is more likely making all of this seem more dire than it really is. I'm always anemic to some extent and I manage to survive everyday in a pretty happy upbeat mood but I don't have depression either. Have you discussed that with your doctor maybe you just need to get on some meds to help with all of these things to help get you better balanced. Of he didn't tell you what to do for them then see him again and tell him you need some dierection as to what to do, that's his job!

littlecharolais
on 5/7/15 4:45 am

Thank you for your reply. I'm definitely working on not becoming dehydrated, but if I drink too much too fast, I throw up. The "fluids" I'll be receiving are sometimes referred to as a "banana bag," whi*****lude a large number of vitamins where I'm deficient, as well as the typical electrolytes for dehydration. My depression is somewhat controlled with meds, but it's definitely amplified by my current state. I am taking iron supplements. I feel like, if I could just increase my calories, is feel so much better. I just can't eat more than two bites of anything at a time. It's so frustrating. 

Grim_Traveller
on 5/6/15 6:46 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Food is a more complicated issue. You could just add another protein shake to increase both protein and calories, and you'd be in line where most people are at your stage. You'd be better served to start eating the sorts of things you'll be eating long term.

The depression and lack of energy can both be from dehydration. Unless there is some medical complication you haven't told us about, there is absolutely no reason for you not to be drinking enough at this point. No reason at all, so pull up your knickers, and start drinking more. 

The IV fluids will go in one drop at a time. You can certainly get the fluid in by mouth one drop at a time, though certainly much quicker. For you, fluid is medicine right now, and you need to just take your medicine like a grownup.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

littlecharolais
on 5/7/15 4:54 am

Thank you for your reply. I'm doing my very best to stay hydrated, as I'm well aware of how important it is. The doctor suggested what's sometimes referred to as a "banana bag" of fluids to help get my vitamin levels up (to help with the hypoglycemia and anemia). The other typical fluids that I'll receive will give me the electrolytes that I need. These attempts are temporary for now, until we figure out a plan for increasing my calorie intake. 

Right now, I'm able to eat only a couple of bites of anything before I'm full. If I try to eat more than that, I will throw up. Living on protein shakes at this stage is not what I expected, but it's just the way it is right now. 

Martinidale
on 5/7/15 6:30 am

Amen!

justpete
on 5/6/15 7:27 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

milk

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

littlecharolais
on 5/7/15 4:57 am

I wi**** were that easy. I've certainly tried that, and it helps with dehydration, but what I need most is more calories and vitamins. Thank you for the suggestion, though. 

more2adore
on 5/6/15 8:26 pm
VSG on 03/28/15

Can you be more specific regarding what you mean by "food is still very hard to digest." 4 months out you should be able to eat normal foods without issue. If you're still unable to eat much without getting sick, you probably need to contact your surgeon. 

VSG 3/28/2015 | HW 600+ | SW 488.2 | CW 398.4

littlecharolais
on 5/7/15 5:05 am

I can only eat about two bites of anything before I feel nauseated or actually throw up. I'm just not getting the sustainable calories and vitamins that I need. I know that I should be able to eat pretty much anything right now, and I know that the portions will be small, but it's just not happening. For this reason, I'll be receiving what's referred to as a "banana bag" of fluids as well as typical fluids for dehydration and electrolytes. This is temporary, at least until my blood work is showing signs of improvement. 

Most Active