My Horror Story - Band to Sleeve Revision

jackfre
on 5/17/15 12:40 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/26/15

I had surgery on 3/26 - revision from lap band to sleeve. My surgeon went on vacation after my surgery and I was left with his physicians assistants, I would have thought he had another surgeon covering but not.   I was supposed to stay in hospital 1 night and be released but was unable to get any liquids down, at one point not able to swallow my own saliva, finally on 4/30 after 4 nights in the hospital I was able to drink 4 ounces so I was released to go home at 9:30 am.

By Wed 4/1 I knew I was not getting in enough of anything and was dehydrated (my urine was getting pretty dark), I called my Dr. and spoke with the PA who told me that sometimes its hard but I just need to try to drink more.  I continued to drink more and continued to become weaker and weaker, I had a scheduled appointment on Friday 4/3 and since their office is in the hospital I thought when they saw me they would help me.  I had started taking the pain meds just to get me thru the day, went to Dr. on Friday met with the PA, she weighed me and I told her I was very dehydrated and my urine was brown, she told me to drink more water and that it does take time with some patients.  she never took my vital signs, or my BP or temperature.  She told me to try to walk 30 minutes 3 times a day and I was sent on my way.

The next day 4/4, I was worse, could barely get the liquid pain meds down and I could feel my mind fading.  My family took me to the ER that night, I didn't have to wait to be seen cause they could see I was almost dead. The Doctors said I would have been dead by morning. My kidney and liver were shutting down, my BP was 74/34 I was severely dehydrated, the ER Dr was great - he never left my side, I was taken into Emergency surgery, I was in septic shock, with severe infection including MERSA, I made it thru the surgery but had a heart attack the next night.  I was in ICU with 5 drains, ventilator, feeding tubes, etc for 2 weeks, I was unconscious for most of that time.

They discovered that I had a leak and everything I was able to down was leaking out causing infection/abscesses.  I was transferred to another hospital on 4/21 to see a gastroenterologist who could repair the hole in my stomach, Dr. Mysh in Morristown, NJ - he did a procedure called the Bear Claw on 4/29, so far it is successful and I was put on liquids on Friday 5/1 and was released on Sunday 5/2.

I am doing well, still hard to get in 64/64 but am doing at least 50/50 right now and staying hydrated.  I am very weak and going for testing for my heart to see if there was any damage.  I think that once I get my strength back I will be ok.

My emergency surgery was done by Dr. Botvinov at JFK ( he saved my life).  I have had no contact with my  original surgeon.  If you feel dehydrated, regardless what your Dr. or PA say - Get to the ER!!!

Jackie

Chilipepper
on 5/17/15 12:56 pm

Christ on a Cracker.  You have been through it. I am sorry you had to go through all of that. Thanks god you are on the mend. Complications happen, God knows we could chat, but, we have to move on. Dr Nausbaum has a pretty good reputation, I think his PA should be hung by her ankles and beat with a stick. I think you should call and have a serious discussion with him, not his front line people. Being proactive and listening to your body is a big part of WLS. Most surgeons and PAs as well as nutritionist have never been on the sharp end of the scalpel. Good thoughts and best wishes to you!! 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Oneillch
on 5/17/15 6:11 am, edited 5/17/15 6:13 am
VSG on 02/04/15

Thank heavens you made it through this ordeal & I hope you have a speedy recovery. I also have nothing but accolades for the Emergency Rm at JFK. They saved my life years ago when I went there suffering from epiglititis.

One thing, please let the doctor know about the PA. I know if I was a physician I would be genuinely concerned the after-care my patients receive. It is not only a reflection of their facility but a reflection on their reputation as well.

KerMer
on 5/18/15 6:36 pm
VSG on 06/16/15

You mean epiglottitis? I had epiglottitis almost 4 years ago and I also credit the ER staff with saving my life but it was a different ER here in Las Vegas. I have never met anyone who had it before. I hope you are doing well and have no lasting effects. 

Paula1965
on 5/17/15 2:10 pm
VSG on 04/01/15

Wow! What an ordeal you have been through! I wish you the best in your continued recovery.

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

Shel25
on 5/17/15 2:46 pm

I am glad you are still with us!  Take care.

~Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

frisco
on 5/17/15 3:00 pm

Wow !!!

Get well soon.....take it slow and easy, heal up real good.

That surgeon gets the big black mark..... he/she should be following up.... vacation or no vacation, the phones work all over the world these days.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Chilipepper
on 5/17/15 3:03 pm

If he wasn't made aware then you can't blame him. 

frisco
on 5/17/15 3:12 pm

True, but in proper protocol one of the first questions when being seen for a surgical complication is "who did the surgery" than that surgeon would be contacted.

frisco 

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Chilipepper
on 5/17/15 4:12 pm

You know surgeons also have lives. He left his people in charge. If she had a leak and was dehydrated, she needed to be in the hospital. He has a good reputation.  His staff needs to be held accountable. There where terrible complications. True. But even if she did have a leak test originally, they can still arise. It's not the doctors fault she got MRSA or had the complications, they happen. I feel terrible all of this happened to her but we all run risks of complications.  I'm glad she went back to the hospital. Like I did. I didn't blame the surgeon for my complications. There are always risks. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active