Fear

Spindarella_2015
on 5/25/15 4:28 am

I am 17 weeks post op and have lost 61.2 pounds. I'm less than 10 pounds from my surgeon's goal and 28 pounds from my personal goal. I've been steadily losing 10 pounds per month for the past 3 months.

I readjusted my goal from 130 to 135-140. When I was in my mid 20's I lost 70# on Nutri System, but to stay at a weight of 126, I over exercised (worked out 2-3 hours a day), lived on Diet Coke, coffee, tuna, bagels and rice cakes. I avoided socializing so that I would have time to attend classes, work and exercise. For years I lived on 4-5 hours of sleep. I even passed out in a Gap while looking for size 4 jeans.

Fast forward about 25 years, I still have that fear. I haven't increased my food intake as I am allowed. I cannot consume more than 3 oz of protein per meal...really dense protein perhaps 2.5 oz. I do eat a little grilled veggie and I have a little fruit daily. I have a premier protein shake daily which I mix with 8 oz decaf and 1/4 c of FF  Lactaid with tons of ice. I exercise for an hour a day, get 7-8 hours sleep. I have a family that I need to be present for. I think that I have a good balance, but I can just feel that fear, that dread. My reasons for losing weight 25 years ago were totally different from my current reasons. 

In my 20's I lost weight because ...we I was in my 20''s and wanted to look hot, but I did not appreciate all of the unwanted attention that I got following my weight loss. I didn't know how to handle it. I managed to keep the weight off for 4 years, then regained and felt more comfortable in my "bear fat" as I called it. Avoiding the scourge of diabetes and a whole host of other weight related issues was my motivation for my VSG.

My fear is multi factorial. I fear regain, I fear the shame associated regain, I fear failure, I fear excessive restricted eating. 

I have a therapist and will discuss these issues with her.

I have gotten some good advice from this forum and contribute when I can. What are some of the fears that others have and how have you dealt with them?

VSG on 01/23/2015

Dan1962
on 5/25/15 9:14 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I would strongly suggest you find a therapist that can help you work though some if your fears.  

For me personally, I feared failing after the surgery.  I had t really wrap my head around this is a lifestyle change that is forever.  A major reason for my failure in dieting before.  My other fear was not hitting my goal.  I'm pretty close and think in the next month that will happen.  As I have gotten close, the fear has lessened.  And finally, I never want to regain.  I have committed to myself that this is forever and I will track everything that goes in my mouth forever.  It has become a habit, to the point that people ask why I'm texting during a meal.  I explain if I don't do it then, then I will create a bad habit which is how I weighed over 325# to begin with.  

Good luck!

Gwen M.
on 5/25/15 4:13 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I made a similar post today as well.  So I have no advice, just commiseration.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active