Lapband to sleeve revision were you able to lose weight?

michele1
on 5/27/15 12:11 pm
Revision on 07/07/15

Hello had the band in 2008, was told I have a slip and Esophageal dilation considering revision to sleeve. Did you lose weight and or how much weight did you lose after, I was told it wasn't that good. I was successful with the band but gained some back due to complications. Posting on revision board as well, thanks in advance!

Kathy S.
on 5/27/15 12:21 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Good Luck to you

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

mmsmom
on 5/27/15 12:22 pm - Woburn, MA

Had band 2007 - had some degree of success - then band failed, couldn't be adjusted without resulting in choking on saliva at night and extreme heartburn.  Revised to sleeve April 2014 - lost 88 lbs and reached goal (surgeon's goal Nov 2014, my goal Feb 2015).  Couldn't be happier - no getting stuck, can eat fruit with skin, no eating around the sleeve...It's awesome.

VSG on 04/28/2014

samanthalc
on 5/27/15 12:50 pm
with

Just a comment on your comment: "I was told it wasn't that good."

All of the data I've seen on the VSG suggests otherwise.  Documented success rates (in terms of % weight loss) for the VSG are better than for lap band.

Sarah V.
on 5/27/15 1:36 pm

Same story. LapBand 2007, slip discovered (after a LOT of regain) in early 2014, revised to sleeve and I've lost 90lbs in just over a year. No regrets. The only thing I would do different is get the LapBand removed, heal from that and then get the sleeve. Doing both at once was difficult.

Lap Band September 2007 / Slip discovered March 2014 after significant regain / Revised to VSG April 29, 2014

lianna
on 5/27/15 2:46 pm - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I am a revision and I am happy with my choice.  I am just about 10 weeks post-op and down 29 lbs. 

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

mmsmom
on 5/27/15 3:33 pm - Woburn, MA

I had removal in feb...vsg April

VSG on 04/28/2014

psychoticparrot
on 5/27/15 7:32 pm

Lap-band in 2004. Lost 20 pounds initially from the healing process. The d**ned thing never worked after that. No matter how many fills I got and no matter how finely calibrated they were, they never enabled me to hit the "sweet spot" where I could eat healthy foods without them getting stuck. It was either everything or nothing, sometimes not even water. Gave up and had all the fill removed after five years of torture. Gained 50 more pounds in the ensuing 10 years.

Had the revision on Feb. 2 of this year. Lost 40 pounds initially during the healing process. Now have lost 20 more. That's 60 pounds in four months! The sleeve is that good. I give it full credit for the first 40 pounds, but now the sleeve and I are a team and the weight is coming off, for the first time and I hope for the last time.

I have seen studies that show that the majority of WLS (of any kind) patients usually have some regain after the first year, so there is no perfect solution to obesity. But, after having gone through the frustration of the band, I can say with confidence that the band does not hold a candle to the sleeve for effective weight loss. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

michele1
on 5/28/15 9:31 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Thank you everyone!!!! The sleeve for me will be self pay due to my insurance only paying for the removal (Tricare) so I really needed to hear that it can be successful. I know I will have to work at it just like I did with the band.

The Bypass wasn't something I wanted back when I had my band put in so not sure why I would consider it now even if it might be paid for well ok that might be it lol (I don't think so though because Tricare has a one weight loss surgery per lifetime clause). I may also have Lynch Syndrome which if I do then he won't do the bypass because it would make my stomach inaccessible. 

So thank you all once again, I am going to work on getting the money together as I do other research, I think this is all going to happen real fast as he seemed in a hurry to get the band out.

I will be lurking till I become a sleeve sista...........thanks again!!!

spuddzy
on 5/28/15 9:57 am - NY

I had revision Dec.2014 and my insurance paid for both at the same time. Lap Band 2010 but slipped last July. Never lost more than 40 lbs. tried so hard to do the right thing but in my opinion it was horrible. could never eat the right things to lose and chocked on so many foods. Very happy with sleeve had no complications . Lost 50 lbs quickly.In 5 mos. Good luck with your decision.

spuddzy

Most Active