Heartburn!! Help!!

lilmsmrtas
on 5/28/15 7:34 pm - Anchorage, AK
VSG on 05/15/15

ok so I had bad heartburn before surgery. We knew it would most likely be an issue after. Doc won't allow Prevacid until I'm healed. Any suggestions I the meantime!!??!?! I am still on a puree diet and only two weeks out from surgery. Tums work for maybe 30 min. Milk works for a few min. Apple cider vinegar made me hurl.... Help!!

KathyA999
on 5/28/15 7:43 pm

My surgeon had me take a crushed PPI, the Mexican equivalent of Nexium. Blecchh!  After about a week of that, I just started taking the pill and never had a problem.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

i8it77
on 5/28/15 7:56 pm
VSG on 04/21/15

I had the same issue. Ifound that if I pushed myself too much to drink when I was"full" I would get the heartburn. Sometimes though I just get heartburn still. I stay upright after eating and drinking and sleeping(sometimes) But just keep popping tums when that doesn't work. If you find something that works otherwise will you let me know?

Tracy D.
on 5/29/15 7:47 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Not sure I understand the reasoning behind not letting you start a PPI until you are "healed".  All that excess acid is a perfect environment to not heal well!  And to cause ulcers and other problems.  

Call him back and insist on getting on a PPI - I had horrible, horrible reflux post-op that made my life a living hell.  Not worth it and totally unnecessary.  If he won't prescribe it then go to your primary...or go to a walk-in clinic.  You need this! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

rumpole6
on 5/29/15 10:31 am

Agree completely, you need your PPI. Try Nexium if your Dr doesn't like prevacid.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

samanthalc
on 5/29/15 10:12 am, edited 5/29/15 10:13 am
with

First, I'm really sorry this happened to you.

Others have said you should get a PPI, and that sounds right to me.  I'm on a PPI called protonix.

Second, I'm really surprised your surgeon went ahead with a VSG when you had a history of heartburn.  Other with experience on this board have indicated their surgeons wanted to get any preexisting heartburn squared away before moving forward with surgery, and if they couldn't, then several said their surgeons refused to do the VSG at all knowing the chances of post-op heartburn were high.

All of this to say- I echo the points others have made about insisting that your surgeon give you a PPI.  And if you get protonix, don't make the mistake I did: INSIST that you pharmacy gives you the name brand and not the generic.  The name brand pill is smaller than the generic. :(

Most Active