Going Home With PIC Line Seven Days After VSG and Hernia Repair

ocean4dlm
on 6/2/15 5:35 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

My VSG was 05/27. My surgeon discovered that the hiatal hernia he'd seen during the endoscopy was actually much larger than he had thought, and he repaired it.  I experienced little pain and significant nausea. The next day, when I swallowed the contrast for my leak test, it was discovered that my esophagus was extremely swollen, and the contrast just sat there and very slowly drained into stomach.

Any attempts to drink anything resulted in vomiting which irritated the swelling. Yesterday, I had a PIC line put in, to break the cycle and heal my esophagus. I'm hoping to go home today, with support from visiting nurses. I want to love my sleeve, but I am discouraged.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

psychoticparrot
on 6/2/15 6:37 am

Wow! And I thought I had a rough start. Discouragement is common to nearly everyone in the early days. It took me six post-op weeks to change my mind that the surgery wasn't the biggest mistake of my life.

Take it one day, one hour, or one minute at a time right now. Don't look too far ahead. Concentrate on following your surgeon's instructions. Your body will heal. Soon (I know, not soon enough!) you and your sleeve will make a great team, and you'll feel like a new person.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

dtaylor24
on 6/2/15 8:47 am - TN
VSG on 06/09/15

So sorry to hear this. My surgery is scheduled next Tuesday and this is scary. I to have a moderate sized hernia and will need to have it repaired. Keep your chin up as I am sure this to will pass. Prayers for you!

thefuture2015
on 6/2/15 4:59 pm

my surgery is next Tuesday as well.  I also have a small hernia and am seriously thinking of requesting that my surgeon NOT repair it. I didn't even know I had it and it does not bother me. if its not broke... I have heard a couple of people say there are issues after they have that hernia repaired..
I wish you a fast recovery and Good luck to the Tuesday surgery.

ipray
on 6/2/15 10:29 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Brings back memories. I too had a hernia repair and they couldn't get my nausa under control. I was in for 5 days and thought that was too long. I feel for you! I remember the nurse telling me that I may not believe her, but it would get better and I looked at her like that is easy for you to say. But she was right. Just do everything they tell you to do. (For me it was getting in my liquids and walking). Take it easy when you get home as you just had major surgery and give yourself time to heal. When I felt nauseated or just uncomfortable, I found that walking back in forth in my hallway for about 5 minutes really helped.  I would do this in the middle of the night if I needed to). Check in here when you need support. This will all be a distance memory soon, just do what you need to do to get through it. Feel Better!

Tracy D.
on 6/2/15 10:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Dang! I'm so sorry to hear about the rough start you've had.  Here's sending you good vibes that things turn around quickly and you start to feel better soon 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Spindarella_2015
on 6/2/15 2:52 pm

Geez, what a way to start your journey. You will get through this and this will be a blur.

Here's to a speedy and uneventful recovery.

VSG on 01/23/2015

samanthalc
on 6/2/15 4:12 pm
with

I'm two weeks out today, and I remember posting a similar "what have I done" email on the third day after surgery--and I didn't have your complications.  I really thought I'd made a huge mistake.  Psychoticparrot was one of several who posted with encouraging words, assuring me everyone has a rough time early out.  (Just like she did for you today.)  It's early, but I'm starting to feel like she's right.  

I'm still on liquids, but get my first bit of pureed food Thursday.  Even still, I'm feeling far less despondent.  

I wish you the best of luck.  As others have said, things will feel less desperate.  I hope you love your sleeve, like so many others here do.

Most Active