Excited Surgery Date Scheduled, however, Needing a Upper Endscopy

DeepBeauty4u
on 6/2/15 2:06 pm, edited 6/2/15 2:07 pm - Duluth, GA
VSG on 06/25/15

I'm so excited I had an apportionment with my surgery today and I received my surgery date (06/25/15). There is a bunch of things I need to do prior to surgery: 

Meet with the Nutritionist

Hospital Seminar

Get upper Endoscopy

Other pre-op labs

I'm a self-pay patient so things are happening pretty fast but it also means that I have to pay first for everything. I'm also doing my surgery out of state (In Alabama) 3 hours away so everything I do need to has to be planned in advance since I live in Georgia. I have everything scheduled except the upper Endoscopy. The surgeon's office suggested their local doctor but I want to know what I'm getting myself into prior to the upper endoscopy in regards to price. Has anyone had to self pay for this procedure? My surgery date is 6/25/15 and I need this done asap...its going to a expense I didn't foresee since its not apart of my WSL self-pay package. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

dtaylor24
on 6/2/15 2:35 pm - TN
VSG on 06/09/15

Congratulations on getting your surgery date so quick! I went and added up all my charges from my endoscopy, surgeon's fee, lab fees & anesthetist fee and the total amount billed to my insurance was $6,636. The amount I had to pay out of pocket including my deductible was $626.24. Just wanted to give you an estimate of my charges, I am sure yours will be WAY less since you're self pay. I got approved back in April but my doctor is so backed up with patients they aren't able to do my surgery until Tuesday June 9. I live in Tennessee so you will be close to me in Alabama. I am curious how much self pay is in Alabama? Good luck to you and you will do great!

DeepBeauty4u
on 6/2/15 8:09 am, edited 6/2/15 8:10 am - Duluth, GA
VSG on 06/25/15

Thank you for replying! Your estimate gives me perceptive on the possible price, which is really helpful.  Oh and the self pay in Alabama is $11,500 whi*****ludes the following:

• Pre-operative testing, including blood work and EKG 
  • Pre-operative nutrition evaluation
  • Surgeon Fee for the procedure
  • Anesthesiologist Fee
  • Hospital fee with ONE NIGHT in the hospital after the surgery. 
  • Post-operative visit with the nutritionist within 4 weeks of surgery.
  • Water Bottle. 
  • Pill Organizer.
  • Salad Bowl.
  • Bariatric Supplements for 3 months after surgery.
  • Monthly support Group Meetings.

I'm doing my surgery through Birmingham Minimally Invasive Surgery http://www.bmisurgery.com/ with Dr. Tagger.

michele1
on 6/3/15 7:51 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Wow that is a good price I am paying $14,150.00 for the sleeve portion of my revision from the lap band. Mine only covers the Surgeon, Anesthesiologist and one night hospital stay.

You would think because I am getting the band removed at the same time it would be less expensive LOL.

So far my insurance has covered my pre op testing, I think with the exception of the EKG....if they do I will say it is for the band removal hopefully that will fly.

grayC
on 6/3/15 12:21 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Don't know if this helps or not but....

got the BEST sleep of my life with my

upper endoscopy! 

I actually tried to roll over and ignore them while they where waking me up!!

no grogginess or anything..

you wake refreshed!!

DeepBeauty4u
on 6/14/15 8:07 pm - Duluth, GA
VSG on 06/25/15

I got the EDG done on 6/11, and it wasn't bad at all. They said everything looked good, except I've been taken too much aspirin like products (I have back pain and I take something daily) so I've been told to end all medications with NASID and switch to Tylenol only for pain. I got my edoscopy done in Alabama by a GI doctor suggested by my surgeon, who is also in AL in the hospital I'll have my surgery done so it was nice to get a feel of the hospital that I will be at during WLS. In regards to the price...as stated previously I'm a self-pay patient so I had to pay $125.00 "deposit fee" and then $450.00 on the day of the Upper GI. I was told that additional fees will be assess later on based on other factors like post labs and testing...so I haven't gotten that bill yet. I'm hoping its not too much more. 

Most Active