Road Trip/Anniversary/Competition

Linda B.
on 6/9/15 10:43 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Mike B and I are headed to Tahoe (about 8 hours away) for a competition I am skating in. I have three programs to skate. One that I am most looking forward to is a new one that has a football theme. Those who have read my posts during football season know that I am a die hard 49r fan. So, when the league I skate in chose "favorite sport" as a theme for the year, well I just had to get creative.

I will be skating in my jersey (size youth large) and gold football pants (would have never fit in those pre-op). The music is "I Left My Heart In San Fransisco" and I will have a football and a hanging poster of Candlestick Park. The category is light entertainment. I hope I do a good job when it counts.

We are also celebrating our 31st anniversary, just a couple of weeks late. It was actually on 6/3. We spent several anniversaries in Tahoe when we lived nearby. This time will NOT involve an all-you-can -eat buffet. We will choose our meal locations carefully. I am hoping that timing will allow for a hike to Emerald Bay and some outside time. I will need to practice, but it will be good to breath some mountain air.

We are hoping to visit some friends and family who live reasonably close. It will be the last time for a while because of our upcoming move. 

So, why am I telling everyone all of this, and how is it WLS related? Well, before we both had our VSG's, travel was all about food and being a couch potato with a change of scenery. Now, it is about being active, enjoying participating in a sport, and enjoying new scenery with a whole different perspective.

For those of you who are pre-op, or new post-op, I know sometimes it is hard to imagine not thinking about your WLS  most of the time. But, you will settle in and start to enjoy your new healthier body. Enjoy the journey.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Mary Gee
on 6/10/15 6:02 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

How exciting Linda!  Happy Anniversary, and Good Luck in your competition.  The trip sounds awesome.

Isn't it great living your new life!  I'm enjoying my new life too.  I'm so thankful that I was able to have the surgery - I no longer huff and puff and I love gardening and yard work, riding a bike, and just plain walking. I love shopping for clothes and being able to "select" outfits, rather than searching for a garment that will fit. I love being good to myself, rather than being filled with self-loathing.

It does take time and commitment to be successful.  Surgery gave us a tool that helps us - but by itself it is not the solution.  We still have to plan our daily menus, weigh and measure food, meet our food and liquid guidelines, track our intake in a program like myfitnesspal.  But the work pays big dividends and so worth the effort.

Enjoy your wonderful vacation!

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Tracy D.
on 6/10/15 8:53 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I love it!  Love the outfit for your skating competition, love the fact you are celebrating 31 years together, and LOVE that you two are enjoying traveling with a focus on being active and enjoying each other and the scenery 

Happy anniversary and good luck at our competition, Linda! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

GoBlueGirl1998
on 6/10/15 9:16 am - MI

Enjoy your trip and good luck in your competition!!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/15 5:49 pm

Good luck!

Great change of perspective, isn't it?!

Most Active