Weight gain with the sleeve?

davenportcrd0106
on 6/16/15 12:29 pm

Has anyone gained weight with the sleeve?  Does your stomach stretch like the pouch with the RNY?

VSG. 01/26/16

cappy11448
on 6/16/15 12:58 pm

I know people worry about stretching the sleeve, but I'm not sure if it happens or not.  There is a normal loosening of the sleeve over time, and I can now eat 6 to 8 ounces at a meal as opposed to 3 or 4 a few months after surgery.  This is two years post-surgery, and the increased capacity if fine with me.

For me, overeating is so uncomfortable, that I rarely do it and really regret when I do.  I try to undereat my sleeve so I stop at 4 to 6 ounces per meal. 

best of luck

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Goose Bump
on 6/17/15 7:38 am

Carol is so right! If i over eat I am so uncomfortable and miserable after and usually regret it!But it happens.

This is a lifestyle change so you can either make changes now or continue eating the same old way and neglect the tool you have to help you. 

VSG on 6/25/14  HW:360 GW:170  33yo 5'8''

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/16/15 1:02 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

It's possible to gain weight with ANY surgery. Getting the sleeve won't prevent you from eating the wrong foods-- it's absolutely possible to live on milkshakes and bacon grease-- and it's up to you to use the tool rather than let it do all the work for you.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Michelle46
on 6/16/15 7:41 pm

Just the thought of those two things makes me want to vomit lol

Starting Weight 265/ Current Weight 127
Surgery: 12/2013

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 6/17/15 5:17 am
VSG on 12/06/12
Tracy D.
on 6/16/15 6:26 am, edited 6/16/15 8:27 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My doctor says that in his experience that the sleeve does not stretch as much as it becomes more "pliable".  Think of a tube the size of a hotdog.  When we start off it's rigid like a metal pipe so we feel restriction very quickly.  As time goes by it becomes more pliable like a very worked over piece of leather -- so obviously more can go in comfortably.  But it won't stretch out to your original stomach size.  

Having said that, slider carbs like crackers, cookies, ice cream, etc. will slide through the sleeve very quickly, you won't feel restriction, and you WILL gain weight.  As Julie said, the sleeve is a restrictive tool and must be respected.  It all comes down to what you put in your mouth every day. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/16/15 10:03 am, edited 6/17/15 1:58 am

I had RNY 7 years ago.  I have a pouch. My pouch is very small. 

Pouch does not stretch unless someone overeats very often.  I can eat 4 oz steak and a few bites of veggies. Or 4 small bacon-wrapped scallops.  

But I can eat a "****load" of crackers or other slider foods. I chose not to. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

frisco
on 6/16/15 5:28 pm

Here are some realities as I know them to be true..... you can do the research....

- The VSG is NOT a standardized procedure and varies greatly in technique and results are also varied.

- The average that gets thrown around is 50-60% EWL for the VSG..... which means on average if you have 100lbs. to lose the average is 50-60lbs. and than there is an average for some regain.

- The larger the initial sleeve that is made, has the potential of more stretch as more of the stretchy tissue is retained. It is human tissue and not steel and even steel stretches. 

- Some will say the difference in sleeve sizes are miniscule...... Eventual capacity ranges from 3-4oz. to well over 16oz. That is not a minuscule difference.

- Many people regain weight..... in fact "most" people experience some amount of regain, and some have regained all the weight back. Regain is an issue for every WLS procedure.

That all said..... In any case with any procedure it is eventually up to you and what you put in your mouth.

In my opinion this thing has 3 basic parts.... if your short in one area you must make it up in another.

There are plenty that have lost all the weight and kept it off, but I assure you it's a small percentage.

If you give it a real effort and submit yourself to making life changes, you will do very well.

Sometimes these threads get filled up with success stories and the reality and expectations gets a bit skewed.

Hope this helps !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Goose Bump
on 6/17/15 7:40 am

great advice Frisco! 

VSG on 6/25/14  HW:360 GW:170  33yo 5'8''

Most Active