shingles---YAY me

Bob-47
on 6/30/15 4:40 pm

Had vsg surgery last July and am doing great. Last week I was diagnosed with shingles in my right eye and right side of my forehead. HURTS like HELL at times and am on some good meds. Problem I'm having is I feel I am taking too many liberties with the wrong things I should be eating. Feel like I am resorting back to food to ease my stress some. Has anyone dealt with an illness after their surgery and how did you handle it. I am being conscious of what my diet is (most of the time) and have actually lost some weight. Thanks.  

Oneillch
on 6/30/15 8:03 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

So sorry to hear about your situation & hopefully it will resolve quickly. I suffered an attack of gout shortly after surgery and was in agony. Until then, I hadn't had an attack in two years & normally would have taken mega doses of Advil, but not allowed with surgery. I was still having full liquids at the time and welcomed warm soups until I could get the right meds from my doctor. I just slept a lot, stayed in my room & wrapped myself in my electric blanket. 

Bob-47
on 7/1/15 2:56 am

Thanks for the input. Today I am feeling a lot better. Hopefully the worst has past and I can focus moving forward.

Tracy D.
on 7/1/15 6:40 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Darn it, Bob - I really feel for you!  I didn't have shingles after surgery but I had it on my head and near my eye several years ago.  Hurts like a SOB!   So sorry you're having to deal with this. 

Stress is your enemy while you're trying to heal from shingles so try to just breathe and relax about your food.  I don't mean "relax" as in eat whatever you want.  Make sure you have acceptable food in the house and if you snack a bit more or eat a bigger portion than you normally would, just give yourself a tiny little break right now.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Bob-47
on 7/2/15 5:48 pm

Thanks Tracy, I have been doing ok. I weigh myself every week and realize what might happen. Not an excuse at all, but sometime you just need some comfort food. Conscious of what is happening and watching carefully. Have a doc. appointment for my one year anniversary next week.I am more worried about all the meds I need to take more than anything. Call doc and wants me to take Prilosec while on the meds. And if I have to put one more medication in my eye I think I might SCREAMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! 

Most Active