Looking for Info....

NikkiL2015
on 7/1/15 5:45 pm - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

I thought I had seen an article on this site somewhere that addressed what to pack when going into the hospital.  I can't seem to find that article again.  Any suggestions? My Dr. says I will be most likely in for one night, I will be having VSG on July 6th.  

ceecart
on 7/1/15 6:09 pm
VSG on 06/23/15

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosptial-stay-what-to-pack

The chapstick- I packed mint EOS lip balm instead is critical.  I also packed sugar free gum (my surgeon's request).  Sending prayers and good luck to you!!

MissNexxie
on 7/1/15 7:06 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

I studied the lists and took tons of stuff I never looked at during my 2 nights in hospital. What I did use/need:

- lip balm/Vaseline

- unscented lotion

- Brush/comb

- medications you need

- slip on shoes (I wore them to the hospital and used during my stay in place of slippers). Feet will swell.

- loose skirt & button/zip up top, or,  loose maxi dress (nothing to pull over your head, trust me on this, and nothing tight)

- pillow for ride home, to hold against your tummy

- cell phone & charger

You will spend that first day sleeping mostly and feeling weak. Likely won't read much but maybe take 1 magazine. You won't feel much like lifting or holding anything.

Good luck with surgery.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

rocky513
on 7/1/15 7:08 pm - WI

The hospital will provide you with almost everything you will need (like toothpaste, tooth brush, soap, shampoo, lotion, mouthwash, deodorant, non-slip socks, gowns and robes).  

Bring Chapstick, earplugs ( the hospital is a noisy place and earplugs will help you sleep).  Bring a pillow from home to sleep on.  Hospital pillows SUCK.  You will also use that pillow to brace your incisions on the bumpy ride home.  Make sure you have baggy clothes to wear home.  You will likely gain weight from the fluids and the gas they pump into you.  You'll want to be comfortable on your trip home.

Don't bring a lot of stuff.  Honestly, you will be sleeping and walking, and then sleeping some more.  You won't feel like doing anything else and you will have to put all that stuff you brought to the hospital back in it's place when you get home.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 48 views