are protein bars soft foods???

gwen41539
on 7/27/15 5:04 pm - kimper, KY

I saw son one post they were adding them in and I hadn't thought about it I couldn't have used one today when I was on the run but are they considered a soft food? 

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

Gwen M.
on 7/27/15 5:08 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

They weren't for me.  Plus, they're really not much better than candy bars, so I avoid them in general.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/15 6:20 pm

NO!

Bufflehead
on 7/27/15 7:10 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Not permitted for me as they are too high carb and high calorie, plus most of them also have grains which I'm not allowed.

Other foods that are technically "soft" but I'm not allowed on my plan: potatoes, candy bars, ice cream, etc.

Seriously, my mother has the opposite problem that I do with weight. She struggles to get out of the "underweight" range and into "normal." Her doctor advised her to add a protein bar to her daily food intake in order to gain weight. And it works great as a tool to help gain weight for her! So I am staying far away.

michele1
on 7/28/15 2:35 am
Revision on 07/07/15

I am on the soft food stage and on my sample meal diagram protein bars are listed along with protein shakes only as a supplement if not getting in the protein requirements of 60 grams or until I can eat 3 ounces of protein at a sitting.

I use the Quest Bar Cookie Dough bar and it has 190 calories, 21 g protein, 1 gram sugar and 3 net carbs which are from nuts not sugar (according to the package lol.)

Yesterday I found myself to be hungry after having 2 ounces of salmon and a little veggie (not as hungry as when I had no fill in my band, but still disappointed I was) and looked at my log for the day and only had 431 calories with 40 grams of protein, so the bar for me took me within my surgeons recommendations.

I had no problem with it, just chewed it real well to mush first. I would ask your surgeon though to be sure I only follow my surgeons recommendations even when I had the band I followed to a T.

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/15 8:32 pm
VSG on 07/13/15
On July 28, 2015 at 2:35 AM Pacific Time, michele1 wrote:

I am on the soft food stage and on my sample meal diagram protein bars are listed along with protein shakes only as a supplement if not getting in the protein requirements of 60 grams or until I can eat 3 ounces of protein at a sitting.

I use the Quest Bar Cookie Dough bar and it has 190 calories, 21 g protein, 1 gram sugar and 3 net carbs which are from nuts not sugar (according to the package lol.)

Yesterday I found myself to be hungry after having 2 ounces of salmon and a little veggie (not as hungry as when I had no fill in my band, but still disappointed I was) and looked at my log for the day and only had 431 calories with 40 grams of protein, so the bar for me took me within my surgeons recommendations.

I had no problem with it, just chewed it real well to mush first. I would ask your surgeon though to be sure I only follow my surgeons recommendations even when I had the band I followed to a T.

Quest bars are the best for us once our stomach can handle them. No other brand has the same protein to calorie ratio.

Chilipepper
on 7/28/15 7:13 am

No

soft is the consistency of scrambled eggs 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

GoBlueGirl1998
on 7/28/15 7:37 am - MI

No! Try and stay away from them as long as you can. I'm eight months out now and I use them in a pinch when traveling and things like that.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

poplargreys
on 7/28/15 10:26 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

Protein bars were definitely not on my approved soft foods list for the immediate post-op healing phase. Even 4 months out, half a Quest bar leaves me feeling like I've got a wad of cement in my stomach.

If you need travel safe soft foods, try string cheese or RTD protein shakes, or even nut butter packets.

happyteacher
on 7/29/15 7:42 am

As others mentioned, not a soft food. Protein bars (when you are far enough out for them) will either help your process, or slow it down. It seems to be at one end of the spectrum or the other. Many find that they are triggery. Myself, I found them to be incredibly helpful. It is true when some refer to them as a candy bar substitute, however, if you select the type carefully they both taste good and pack good nutrition. Most of them are way too high in carbs and cals and too low in protein. Some stand out. The Quest brand is popular on this site, although personally I couldn't stand them due to texture issues. I prefer the Detour brand (low sugar version) or the pure protein brand- both at Sams or Costco. My general rule is 1 gram of protein per every 10 calories and low carb. They make a fantastic quick meal replacement, or in my case did a fine job of choosing that over the candy bars located in the staff lounge. For others though, they can't stay out of them so perhaps at first just buy one to try instead of a whole case :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active